Cathays attacks rapist has been jailed for twelve years

The jury took just over 30 minutes to decide

Remus Hamza, 40, has been found guilty of rape today at Newport Crown Court.

He has been jailed for 12 years, after preying on a heavily intoxicated 20-year-old woman on her walk back from the city centre on September 20th. She had been approached by Hamza near to the National Museum in the early hours of the morning after walking home from Pryzm. The victim was forced behind the back of the museum where Hamza raped her behind a bush.

Hamza has been jailed for 12 years

Hamza denied raping the young woman and claimed that the sex was consensual. It was revealed earlier today during the trial that Hamza had a previous conviction in the very same area of Cardiff.

The Romanian national remained emotionless during his sentence. He was told by Judge David Wynn Morgan: “You were waiting there hoping a lone inebriated female would make her way in your direction so you could take advantage of her. The risk of further offences and the risk of harm to members of the public, especially young unaccompanied drunk females at night, is high.”

The jury took just over 30 minutes to come to the conclusion as guilty. Hamza from Riverside, Cardiff was sentences to 12 years imprisonment and will be on the sex offender register for life.