Queenie Comes to Cam

The Queen and Prince Phillip will be making their first official visit to Cambridge in over two years.

Addenbrookes buses kate and william Prince Phillip St John's College The Queen The Royal Family

The Queen and Prince Phillip have announced they are to visit Addenbrooke’s Hospital on the 23rd May.

Her Majesty and her consort will be officially opening the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology and the Rosie Maternity Hospital.

She must be so excited

After travelling by train from London to Cambridge, they will then take a ride on the guided busway through the city. It is unclear whether they will take advantage of the discount bus fares available to pensioners.

Speaking to Cambridge News, Mark Lloyd, chief executive of Cambridgeshire County Council, described how he was “delighted” the Royals would be able to see for themselves “some of the innovative projects for which the city is rightly renowned worldwide”.

A trip to Addenbrooke’s has been planned

Joshua, a second year medic, told The Tab: “It’s great that the Queen is checking out the new maternity unit at Addenbrooke’s. It would make sense for the Duchess of Cambridge to have her baby in Cambridge, although I have a feeling that might not be happening.”

The last time the Queen made an official trip to Cambridge was in April 2011, to celebrate the quincentenary of St John’s College.

More recently, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge came to the city last year, where they were greeted by huge crowds.