Wills and Kate in Cambridge

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge…in CAMBRIDGE!

Cambridge duke and duchess kate middleton monarchy prince william Royal william and kate

Huge crowds welcomed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their first visit to the city since the royal wedding.

After meeting assembled well-wishers in market square, the royals gave a trademark wave from the balcony to the assembled crowd.

Then, later in the morning, they met staff and students at a special reception.

During a speech to the assembled University representatives, Prince William charmed the crowd, joking that a trip with his brother to Trinity 5 years previously was “the closest Harry ever got to university”.

The Lad-Prince continued on a more serious note to describe how humbled he felt to be given a title linking him to a University which has produced more Nobel Prize winners than any other, before having a little dig at The Other Place.

The couple then split up to meet the assembled professors, JCR and MCR presidents, and other students lucky enough to be picked for the visit.

Despite the overwhelming popularity of the Duke and Duchess, at least one King’s student attempted to mark their visit with a protest. A window at the front of the college showed a sign saying “fuck the royal family”.

However, student reaction has mostly been extremely positive, with royal fever gripping the University. Katie Estdale, who met the pair at the reception, told The Tab “You can really see why everyone loves Kate, she really took the time to talk to people.

“I heard someone apologising to Will that they were running behind schedule because she was still chatting to students and he just laughed and said she’s always like that.”

The Royal Wave – Photo by Helena Izett

The future King meets a student

Kate’s best chance to get on Camshots

HRH Prince Broody – Photo by Helen Simmons

Kate greets the crowd – Photo by Helen Simmons

The Duchess looking awesome – Photo by Helen Simmons

More to Follow – if you have a picture of a student with the Royals, send them in to us at [email protected].