Union Becomes A Big-Dog Boozer

The Union has extended its drinking licence in a bid to establish itself as a major player in the weekend boozing markets.

Alcohol Booze Cambridge Union Cambridge Union Society Drinking elise morton hours late licence Union

The Union will now sell alcohol until 2am at weekends thanks to an extension to its licence.

The new licence will let the Union sell alcohol from 12-2pm daily and from 6-11pm between Mondays and Wednesdays. On Thursday, evening hours will be extended to 1am, and on Fridays and Saturdays alcohol will be flowing until 2am.

In order to help you keep your day of rest relaxed and drink-fuelled, drink will also still be sold between noon and 11pm on Sundays.

The Union bar in full swing

An extension to its licence will perhaps make the Union the new weekend hangout for students, on nights when Cindies, Spoons and the ADC bar are out of the question.

Louise Holt, a second-year Union member at Queens’, was excited by the idea: “It’ll be nice to have somewhere to go on a Saturday night, the college bar is great but it doesn’t stay open that late.

“A few weeks ago we tried to go to Spoons on a Saturday and simply walked in and then out again. The Union might be a good alternative.”

Michael Black, Head of Press at the Union, thinks that the Union bar will fill a gap in the market: “When the college bars close, there are definitely too few places to go for a drink with your friends.

“Now the Union will offer a great late night venue with a fantastic atmosphere, an amazing range of cocktails and some of the cheapest drinks in Cambridge.”

The new opening hours will take effect from Thursday.