Now They’re Even Laughing At You In Shanghai

Freshers heading to Cambridge this October have received another reassurance that they were right to snub the Other Place.

boat race Cambridge University Freshers harvard Oxford oxford university rugby varsity shanghai jiao tong university university ranking table Varsity

The country’s greatest university has once again thrashed its dark blue rivals, this time in a respected international academic league table.

Cambridge finished in fifth place in the Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s annual world university ranking table, beating all other UK institutions including Oxford, who were ranked a miserable tenth.

Cambridge has been ranked higher than Oxford since 2003, when the table was first compiled.

And current tabs do not appear to be surprised at the outcome.

Emily Guest, a second year student from Girton College told The Tab: “We beat Oxford in all of the main Varsity sports this year, and now, unsurprisingly, we’ve thrashed them in the league tables. Oxford doesn’t really have a lot going for it, does it?”

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjLt74dJ2gw&feature=related

Another Cambridge triumph: The light blues bash their rivals in this year’s Boat Race.

The Shanghai Jiao Tong table, which was published last week, ranks universities on various criteria, including quality of faculty (40%), research output (40%), quality of education (10%) and performance vs. size (10%).

It has been described by one academic journal as the “most influential international ranking”.

It lists over 500 universities, and placed Harvard University at the top of the table for the eighth consecutive year. Following Harvard were the University of California, Berkeley second and Stanford University third.

The highest non-US institution other than Cambridge or Oxford is the University of Tokyo, which came 20th. 54 of the top 100 universities are in the US, 23 in mainland Europe, 10 in the UK, nine in the Asia Pacific region and four in Canada.

The other major global university league table, the upcoming Times Higher Education World University Rankings, will be published shortly.

Other UK institutions that made the top 100 are: University College London (21st), Imperial College London (26th), the University of Manchester (44th), the University of Edinburgh (54th), King’s College London (63rd), the University of Bristol (66th), the University of Nottingham (84th), the University of Sheffield (88th) and the University of Birmingham (99th).

Top Ten Universities

1. Harvard University

2. University of California, Berkely

3. Stanford University

4. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

5. Cambridge University

6. California Institute of Technology

7. Princeton University

8. Columbia University

9. University of Chicago

10. University of Oxford