Cowley Road stabbing believed to be planned attack

Two men have been arrested

Police believe yesterday’s stabbing to be a planned attack, and not a random incident. 

Police were called to Cowley Road at about 2.50pm yesterday, following reports an 18-year-old man had been stabbed.

According the Oxfordshire Guardian, an eyewitness report claimed the teenager was “stabbed in the heart by a knife”.

The 18-year-old was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Headington in a life-threatening condition after the stab wound was located.

Serious disruption was also caused as Cowley Road was closed, buses stopped running and diversions were in place.

A 28-year-old man and a 35 year-old-man were arrested shortly after the attack, on Iffley Road, in connection to the stabbing.

A spokesperson for Thames Valley Police said although information is restricted at this time, “legal procedures are active”.

Local Policing Area Commander for Oxford, Supt Christian Bunt said: “Firstly, I would like to reassure the community that we do not believe this was a random attack.

“It is a credit to our police officers who attended the scene that we made two arrests shortly after we were called to the offence.

“A thorough investigation is being carried out, and as such residents will see an increased police presence in the area in the coming days. If you have any concerns or information to pass on then please do not hesitate to speak to one our officers”.

Cowley Road is now accessible but James Street remains cordoned off.