Aberdeen Uni plans for virtual Freshers’ Week in September

It will at least be ‘partially online’

Freshers’ Week at the University of Aberdeen will be at least “partially online,” it has been suggested.

Louise Henrard, communities officer for AUSA, told a recent meeting at Old Aberdeen Community Council events could be moved online and any physical events would still have to follow social distancing guidelines.

She said a “more traditional” Freshers’ Week is planned for January, and AUSA will continue to monitor the situation.

“Freshers’ Week will perhaps not be as physical as usual, or at least it will be partially online,” she said. “Any physical event will have to follow social distancing guidelines.

“We are expecting to have more of a traditional Freshers’ Week in January, rather than September.”

An AUSA spokesperson told The Press and Journal: “We continue to monitor the situation and follow the relevant guidance and will provide regular updates via our website.

“We are preparing to welcome students back in September and working hard to ensure that we have a variety of online activities, should further or continued government restrictions require this.”

This development follows news Aberdeen Uni is delaying the start of term because of the ongoing lockdown.

Universities across the countries are changing term dates and announcing further online teaching in term one next year. More updates can be found here.