RGU cancels classes due to coronavirus

Alternative teaching arrangements are to be implemented

Robert Gordon University has released a statement notifying students that it will suspend all on-campus teaching from 9am on Tuesday 17th March.

RGU will suspend its current on-campus teaching with effect from 9am on Tuesday 17 March. The university will remain…

Posted by Robert Gordon University on Monday, 16 March 2020

In an email to students, the university said: “Our senior management team met today and I can advise you of our plans to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on the University’s operations and the student experience, ensuring that students can complete their studies and graduate or progress to the subsequent stages of their courses.

“On Monday 23 March the University will implement a revised operating procedure with online and alternative provision for teaching and assessment.

“To ensure the transition is as smooth as possible, all scheduled teaching activity including lectures, tutorials, laboratory classes, seminars and computer lab sessions will be suspended from 9am tomorrow (Tuesday 17 March).”

credit: SWNS stock image

The email went on to say: “Separate advice has already been given to students on placement or who were due to go on study abroad. For students currently studying online, there are no immediate plans to change the arrangements that are in place for their studies. Students currently on placement in NHS sites will be kept updated as appropriate.

“The university will remain open and we will continue to provide services and support for our students.

“The health and safety of our staff and students is our top priority. Our plans have been designed to safeguard the wellbeing of our university community while ensuring our teaching and assessments can continue effectively.”

This follows a similar move by the University of Aberdeen which was announced last week.