Image may contain: Office Building, Building

AUSA rejects affiliation application from BAME Law Society

The group believe it can provide a service that is not available on campus

Aberdeen University Student’s Association has rejected an affiliation request from a potential BAME Law Society.

The Societies Union told the Gaudie it was not comfortable, “to affiliate a society that was specifically geared towards dividing a subject along ethnic lines.”

In a petition set up by the society to show support they say the group will: “Seek to provide education on racism within the criminal justice system, and also the legal market.”

The BAME Law Society regrets the decision of AUSA, to not affiliate our society. We will try our best to prove that our…

Posted by BAME Law Society – University of Aberdeen on Friday, 5 June 2020

In a post on the group’s Facebook page they said they: “regrets the decision of AUSA, to not affiliate our society. We will try our best to prove that our society can provide a valuable service, and we hope they change their mind.

“We believe there is a need for a BAME (Black & Minority Ethnic) Law Society which is affiliated with AUSA, as students from the BAME communities face unique challenges in terms on gaining employment and the support they need to navigate a successful student and professional legal career.

“It is well documented that members of the BAME communities are under represented in many sectors of the society including the legal profession. We would like to create a safe and trusting environment for BAME law students to discuss issues they are facing in pursuing a career in law.

“We would also like to offer diversity awareness, training and programmes through our links to other BAME legal professionals organisations such as SEMLA (Scottish Ethnic Minority Law Association).

“In addition, we wish to highlight, educate, and provide potential solutions for the structural racism BAME people face in the criminal justice system.

“Although this is a BAME Law Society, we will be open to all students irrespective of ethnicity, race, sex or gender, and we even encourage students who don’t study law to attend our events.”

AUSA has not yet made an official statement on the matter.