There are 82 Covid cases at Aberdeen Uni, and “a number” are linked to The Bobbin

Health experts claim some of the students had been to The Bobbin

Student favourite pub, the Bobbin, has been linked to a coronavirus outbreak among Aberdeen students.

82 students at Aberdeen now have coronavirus, the uni has confirmed.

In a uni email, a joint statement from the NHS Grampian, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen City Council and Police Scotland revealed that they “are aware of a number of cases who have attended at The Bobbin, on King Street, Aberdeen, on or after September 17”. It also said that Aberdeen City Council officers had visited the Bobbin and were “satisfied with the measures in place”, and that the Bobbin has provided “full customer lists for Test & Protect tracing”.

The statement is from the 29th of September, at which point 62 students were infected with Covid-19 in total. But AU’s online coronavirus updates reveal that just one day afterwards, yesterday, this number had already risen to 82. It states that “this figure includes those living in various locations, including university halls of residents, private flats and private halls elsewhere.”

“The cases are currently not being treated as a single cluster. Investigations are ongoing and efforts are being made to identify any linkages between them.

“There is currently no evidence of spread to the wider community and, working with the university, various control measures have been implemented in an effort to curb the risk of any further transmission.”

It is not clear how many of the 82 Aberdeen students with coronavirus have been linked to The Bobbin.