Congestion charges might be coming to the Deen

What are we, London?

Aberdeen might be competing with London on rent prices. But we’re tiny compared to the capital’s 8.3 million people.

But coughing and spluttering your way down Union Street is a major part of any shopping trip in Aberdeen, the congestion charge might do us all some good, and not merely to boost our nasal congestion.

One local councillor has suggested that congestion charges could be the best way to keep traffic out of Aberdeen city centre.

The granite city is known as Scotland’s traffic jam capital. Anyone trying to get to work at 5pm in a hurry knows that.

A lot of students cycle regularly around Aberdeen, and currently it seems that getting run over by one of the hundreds of cars and busses which rule the roads of Aberdeen is a far greater health concern than the recent Meningitis, or Ebola outbreaks.

But Aberdeen’s former students cum Londoners are being encouraged to head back up to the Granite City.

They want more people to come here?

One cyclist thinks that Aberdeen has a bad rep when it comes to roads already, he said: “When I take my bike out into town, it feels like I’m taking my life into my hands.

“The amount of traffic in the centre is just ridiculous. Something needs to be done, it’s just not safe!”

Cyclists would benefit from less traffic on the roads.

The idea for a congestion charge in Aberdeen was advocated by the SNP’s infrastructure spokesman.

But, John Corall has called for citizens to keep an open mind to all ideas which could ultimately make Aberdeen richer.

Durham has one why can’t we

It would work as part of a major plan to revitalise the city centre, inspiration for which is being taken from Scandinavian cities, many of which currently have congestion charge systems.

Perhaps a congestion charge for Aberdeen could be the breath of fresh air that the city centre is in such desperate need of.

Zoology fresher Nick agrees that it would be a step in the right direction: “It would certainly make people think twice about whether they actually needed to drive, and that can only be a good thing.”

But, not everyone agrees that a congestion charge is a good idea.

Aberdeen is a great city and has some great unis but making it even more unaffordable is not the way to go.

Law student Mark said: “I think it’s a stupid idea. It just wouldn’t work here.

“If people need to come into the city centre, they don’t have a choice and shouldn’t be penalised!”