Wacky Revision Tips

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

LAURA GRAYLING banishes revision boredom.

Ever noticed how some friends  retain a glimmer of hope even as exams set in? They just don’t seem to be inflicted with revision blues.

How do people achieve this mythical state? Quite possibly they’re just weird. But maybe they’ve found a new means to put spice back in Easter term life. Here they share their tips on how to keep things fresh.

Hugh likes to turn revision on its head – literally. When the going gets tough and the books pile high, he flips over and reads upside down. While such an approach is not for the fainthearted, it certainly brings a new perspective to quadratic equations or the complete works of Shakespeare.

Pros: a rush of blood to the head which rivals any that ProPlus can provide.

Cons: not designed for the library. Or indeed, chairs.

Olivia opts for a more sensual approach. Revision need not only evoke the smell of strong coffee and dusty pages. Associating revision topics with a particular smell can act as a much needed memory trigger. Perfume, peanut butter, cherries, you name it – any scent can be associated with key information.

Pros: exploring different scents is constructive procrastination.

Cons: strange looks when you mutter ‘peanut butter’ in the exam.

Hannah’s revision is more Zen. She breaks up work with intensive sessions of chair yoga.  Admittedly Downward Dog and Warrior Two are tricky on a swivel chair, yet yoga has been proven to boost relaxation and increase the flow of oxygen around the body.

Pros: multitasking at its best as it involves fitness and revision.

Cons: chair yoga is usually reserved for the aged and infirm.

Finally Jack, who prefers a more aggressive method. He psyches himself up pre-revision with boxing videos. What could be more exhilarating than watching oversized buffoons beating other oversized buffoons? You can take this intensive revision warm up even further by playing Chariots of Fire while you turn on your laptop or get your books out.

Pros: with all that testosterone coursing through your veins, who knows what will happen with that sexy librarian.

Cons: you may become so overcome by your prowess that you might accidentally punch the librarian.

My personal favourite is post-it notes. I confess to having a post-it note fetish. These paper gems can take anything from the number of stars in the solar system to quotes from Kafka. Then simply stick them up around you. Kitchen cupboard – stick a post-it on it. Bin lid – post-it. Toilet seat – post-it. Flat mate’s face – post-it. You get the idea.

Pros: effortless revision, providing you’re literate. All you need to do is read and absorb.

Cons: your bedder’s panic when they open your door to find a sea of post-its swamping your belongings.

So there you have it, Cambridge. When you’re revising at 2am for the fifth consecutive night, remember there are ways to put the fun, or at least the bizarre, back into revision.

Don’t settle for late nights in the library interspersed with discount energy drinks and the Facebook brain drain. Spice up your revision life by embracing eccentricity.

Any other tips to combat the boredom? Share your advice in the comment box below. 

Facebook Twitter
  • TPJ

TPJ u21's training revision: knock one or two out to the fitties in the above pictures will give the true moment of insight into academics needed to 1st class those exams…

• 'Hugh'…

… has a very feminine figure

• 3rd photo down

Hannah looks hot

• Hannah

• Zen girl

What a rack

• James Hay

I like to intersperse revision periods with breaks for playing racquet sports.

• Eager to Learn

Could we see more chair yoga from Hannh? For revision purposes of course.

• Intrigued…

…to know how many stars Laura Grayling thinks the solar system contains? Waste of a post-it note if you ask me.

• Is she a vet?

I'm interested to know what subject she does, such that she needs to learn how many calories you burn when you lick a stamp, where the world's largest fish is from and whether polar bears are left or right handed.

I wish my law degree could be written on post-it notes…

• Piotr

"These paper gems can take anything from the number of stars in the solar system…"

That'll be one, then…

• Arts Students

Don't know science. #LEAVEIT.

• Big Handsome Man

If you'd care to read it again, that appears to be exactly what she means.

• Please

Can we get Hannah's pictures in every article from now on?

• Stalker

Found Hannah's Facebook, she's a cracker.

• Captain Masturbator

• Stalker-in-Training

You found her based solely on her first name and an iconic bust (which might not even feature in her profile picture)? Laura Grayling doesn't have any friends called Hannah, but there are a lot of Hannahs at Cambridge – I just don't think I have the time to compare all their assets with the photo above.

Well done sir.

• Stalker

Stalker-in-Training: Laura Grayling is friends with 4 girls called Hannah and the picture in the article tells us that she has blonde hair. Was really quite an easy find.

• Why not…

try the Butterfield revision guide?

• don't delay

CALL NOW

• eugh

shaping the nation by harriss is literally the shittest book ever written.

• Mathmo

If only my revision was just quadratic equations

• arts student

I think you meant to say:

"If only my revision were just quadratic equations"

• Big Sebby D

Hannah is fit

Heard something on campus?

By on

The beginning of the end for the NHS?

The NHS is terminally ill. Jeremy Hunt’s latest plans to stretch junior doctors to their mortal limits could send Britain’s national treasure six feet under.

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’