Eggs-ham Food

LEAF ARBUTHNOT is back with food to feed the brain.

I crossed the threshold of exam term feeling absurdly buoyant. Yeah, work! Yeah, a reduced social life! Bring it, gym trips and early-morning yoga!

I fully believed that getting back down with the books, after two terms of awkward relations, would be good fun, manna for both soul and intellect. Well, it hasn’t been.  Revision is dull; not seeing/having friends is depressing. I want my mother.

That said, there are ways of leavening the leaden vibe. One tactic to preserve exuberance is to treat your body well. Eating shrewdly enhances both general cheerfulness and intellectual performance, increasing the efficiency with which one can storm academic citadels.

To this end, I have spent many a lunch break experimenting with ‘superfoods’ – particularly nuts, fish, fruit and vegetables, renowned for their ability to boost brainpower. Even if you don’t feel instantly Einsteinian after a meal based on these kinds of ingredients, you will at least feel smug because they are sickeningly healthy.

Here are four recipes that are guaranteed to get you a starred first and a fellowship from your college. Maybe.

Green soup

I am aware that not everyone relishes the idea of picking nettles for their lunch; fortunately, this soup is just as good without them.

Fry one onion and two cloves of garlic in a pan with olive oil. Add two leeks, chopped up into rough pieces, and half a litre of chicken stock. Boil for a bit. Add three large handfuls of fresh spinach, or a Sainsbury’s bag full of freshly cut nettles (avoid ones that have flowered; the sting will go out of the nettles as soon as they have been boiled.)

Simmer for a bit, then add salt, pepper, cream and curry powder to taste. Blend.

Fail-safe fish sauce

The key to doing fish well is the sauce. This is very versatile and will go particularly dazzlingly with salmon, cod and prawns.

Combine ½ a cup of vinegar (rice, apple cider or white wine ideally), one tablespoon of honey, 4 cloves of garlic (chopped), ½ a teaspoon of chili powder and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce in a cup. Mix with a fork, and fry with fish.

Fig Jam

I know this is pretty niche, but fig jam is delicious, and one of the healthiest spreads around.

Chop up about twelve large figs into coins, about 1cm thick. Transfer to a large pan. Add the juice and rind of one lemon, and one cup of granulated sugar. Allow to soak for two hours. Then heat for one hour or so on a hob, stirring frequently, until it looks like jam.

Nutty-fruity flapjacks

These are healthier than most flapjacks because of the heavy fruit and nut contingent. They are also made in the microwave; hooray, yippee, huzzah.

Melt 100g butter and 50g caster sugar in the microwave, in a baking tray. Add 4 tablespoons of golden syrup or honey. Stir in 150g oats, and 50g bran flakes. Microwave for three minutes on full power. Then stir in a cup full of raisins and a cup full of mixed nuts. Microwave for another minute, then refrigerate.

There you have it – four foods to feed the brain. Superfoods are the way forward this term, they’re guilt-free and intellect-enhancing. So go on, ditch the Basics digestives and grab some Nutty-fruity flapjacks smeared in fig-jam.

@leaflondonette
  • ahhhh

the soup looks like something straight out of bridget jones!

• Wow

Leaf has made recipes I actually might consider eating.

• Exam Term Soldier

all i need is red bull

ROAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. TO THE LIBRARY!!

• Cows go

MMMOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Head Chef

1. "Simmer for a bit, then add salt, pepper, cream and curry powder to taste." You might as well have just written add green vegetables to taste and then blend. Salt/pepper fine, but curry powder and cream can turn it into something completely different. And BLEND? I doubt many people in Cambridge have a blender handy…

2. Rice, apple cider or white wine vinegar all taste very different, and putting fish sauce in a fish sauce is a bad way to bring out the natural flavours of the fish itself, as fish shouldn't even be fishy if it's fresh….

3. Your fig jam is loaded with added sugar. Figs are already naturally sweet, the health benefits are outweighed by the CUP OF SUGAR.

4. Your knife is awesome.

• Headline_Judge

"Eggs-Ham Food"? Disappointing lack of either eggs or ham in your recipe suggestions…

I prefer Souperfoods for Refishion

• wait

leaf arbuthnot is actually somebody's name?!

• Eugene Geidelberg

I am a zoologist, and I can confirm that eating food is adaptive.

• Tim Ince

You went to my school!

• Mmmm

Those flapjacks look unbeleafably delicious, 'mright guys?

• Punbelievably Witty

If I wanted to eat them in the bathroom, I'd make sure to take Arbuthnot a shower

• confused

How can fish sauce be an ingredient in fish sauce?

• Sauceror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce

Because 'fish sauce' and a sauce that you make for your fish are substantially different. The former looks, smells and tastes substantially like salty piss on its own, but if you just add a few drops to the latter, you don't really notice it.

I wouldn't recommend it though – you'd be better off just using salt, and if that doesn't quite do it for you, take a slash in the saucepan too – the difference is immaterial.

• MasterChef

Do you regularly cook with urine then?

• Inception

BWAAAAAAARRRM

• Concerned Citizen

What else do you plan to do with that knife…?

• FAN

loved it as usual…. 😀

• Huh

Something about the “most commented” system is fucked up

Heard something newsworthy?

The Murder of Giulio Regeni should shock Cambridge students

The harsh realities of Middle Eastern dictatorships have inserted themselves into the Cambridge community in brutal fashion

Tab TV: Meaning of Life, Week 1: American Politics

This week FINN MCREDMOND asks Sunday Life goers about American politics

and

VOTE NOW: You can’t sit with us – Couples’ Edition

As we near Valentine’s Day, we present you with our best dressed couples

My week in men’s clothes

Apparently everyone’s doing it

What’s the worst lie you told your parents?

‘I was a real sack of shit as a teenager’

, Chief Reporter

I love living in the ‘uncool’ part of Hackney

It’s cheap and occasionally cheerful

, Assistant Editor

London’s nightlife is nothing on a night in a country pub

Take me back to the Black Horse

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo