Gilmour’s Coming Home

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

Girton have announced they're taking Charlie back after his spell in the slammer.

Charlie Gilmour will return to Cambridge in October.

Girton Historian Charlie, the adopted son of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, was released from prison in November after serving four of his 16-month jail sentence.

King of the swingers

He was convicted last summer after swinging from the cenotaph and throwing a bin at a Prince Charles’ convoy in last year’s student protests, in what he tried to pass off as a momentary lapse of reason.

There had been speculation about his future, but Girton revealed today that the historian would be coming back in October to complete his degree.

The reprieve comes “subject to him providing, and abiding by, assurances as to his future good behaviour.”

The news will be welcomed by CUSU, who campaigned for his return once he had done his time.

Students have already begun calling this a great day for freedom. Girton JCR President Alex Wessely told The Tab “I think this is a brave move by college, as it will undoubtedly prove unpopular with some parts of the media.

“Personally, I think Charlie’s been punished enough and deserves the chance to finish his education.”

Some Girtonians were less kind however, with an anonymous 3rd year telling us that “He’s a twat. Hope he’s learned his lesson. Good luck trying to forge a career, Charlie!”

Facebook Twitter
  • Cyclist

Hahaha look at his little weedy legs.

• Man

Hahaha look at his little weedy legs.

• Come on

As blatantly stupid and disrespectful as his actions were, the guy's a kid and has definitely learned his lesson re these mistakes. I don't understand people's schadenfreude. Why would you want to ruin his life?

• Don't

Give a shit

• What a

• ISpeakForTheStudents

YESSSSSSS! <3333333

• Outraged

The worlds biggest cunt.
    Not only did he disrespect anyone who has died fighting for Britain, which has included many Cambridge alumni – would a prewar college have taken him back? – but he attacked the heir to the throne. Treason. Should be hung drawn and quartered, or at least exiled for that.

• idiot.

Haters gonna hate.

• and

masters gonna…

• Fact Checker

Girton is a pre-war college, moron

• um….

Well, it's pre-war…

• Bla bla bla

Mate, are you at Peterhouse??

• Alan Gabriel

Fuck that reprobate degenerate.

• Peter Gabriel

my brother was never the lyricist

• Matty McBroide

That boy's move was more heinous than when O'hanrahan the bartender gave my dad Big Ron a quickly poured pint of guinness.

• peter

• Matty McBroide

Petey! What's the craig?

• Dear Matty

you're clearly not Irish, as you weren't playing in the GAA varsity this weekend.

Charlie Parnell is disappointed in you.

Yours etc.,

Christy Cooney.

stop commenting!! this is just what he wants!! he is a chronically absent person who seeks attention to validate his existence because he fears- as does anyone who's met him- that HE HAS NO PERSONALITY TO SPEAK OF. THis is what he wants! stop commenting before Charlie Gilmour actually BECOMES tab commenting!

Oh look, I'm a hypocrite, and it's all too late anyway.

• The soap

I hope he got bummed at jail

• fludders

Hanged- not hung.

• GirtonHousePrices
  • George

17 crimes on Severn Street, you can chuckle off! I lived there for two years as a student and not once did we have any trouble or any sort, not once. We never even had a police car, so I don’t know where they’re getting their facts…

• Amy

Presumably from here…
    Just because you didn’t see a police car doesn’t mean crime doesnt happen! I was mugged on Severn Street. I didn’t call the police because my phone was stolen. I walked filled out a form and never heard anything about it again. So you wouldn’t have seen a police car or heard anything about it!

• Steven Bradshaw

take a picture of where ur mum grew up and write about the crime rate, but probably sum spoitl c..t who aint got a clue

Heard something on campus?

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return