Exclusive: Wolfson Student President Resigns

The Tab understands that Wolfson student president James Mitchell has resigned this morning after a controversial college awards ceremony.

cambridge students Cambridge University james mitchell oscars WCSA wolfson college woscars

James Mitchell, President of Wolfson College Students’ Association (WCSA), has this morning resigned from his position, The Tab can exclusively reveal.

Mitchell had been facing allegations since March 18th after a controversial ‘WOSCARS’ night left many within the college offended.

What was meant to be a light-hearted mock OSCARS giving awards out to Wolfson students in various categories resulted in several complaints from students and alumni alike.

After an investigation into the complaints, the president was found to have made a “lapse in judgement” in allowing the event to continue, and had to attend meetings with his Tutor and Wolfson’s Senior Tutor to discuss the findings.

In an email, Mitchell offered an apology to everyone at Wolfson for the offence caused and has stepped down, but will help out in an unofficial role when needed “so as not to leave the committee in a mess.”

Read the full story on The Tab soon.