Exclusive: Wolfson Student President Resigns

By on

The Tab understands that Wolfson student president James Mitchell has resigned this morning after a controversial college awards ceremony.

James Mitchell, President of Wolfson College Students’ Association (WCSA), has this morning resigned from his position, The Tab can exclusively reveal.

Mitchell had been facing allegations since March 18th after a controversial ‘WOSCARS’ night left many within the college offended.

What was meant to be a light-hearted mock OSCARS giving awards out to Wolfson students in various categories resulted in several complaints from students and alumni alike.

After an investigation into the complaints, the president was found to have made a “lapse in judgement” in allowing the event to continue, and had to attend meetings with his Tutor and Wolfson’s Senior Tutor to discuss the findings.

In an email, Mitchell offered an apology to everyone at Wolfson for the offence caused and has stepped down, but will help out in an unofficial role when needed “so as not to leave the committee in a mess.”

Read the full story on The Tab soon.

• Rob

Yes, I was there. The joke was about how it was inappropriate to celebrate the death of all those people on the titanic as their June Event theme, and how it would be similiarly inappropriate to celebrate the Holocaust; i.e. not a joke about the Holocaust but the June Event. God, some people hear "holocaust" and assume it's offensive. This just proves how dangerous it is to repeat things out of context. There weren't rape allegations, that's plain slander, and whilst no one will deny there were sexist comments, they were being laughed at NOT with. As Mitchell said in his public apology, "my intention was to ridicule the offensive ideas that were the subject of the complaints". It's so depressing people don't get that.

• Come on…

I can't believe Cambridge students don't know the difference between being offensive and ridiculing offensive ideas. The whole thing beggars belief.

• WHO's BOB?!

Who are you, Bob? Do you even know where Wolfson is? It might seem like great fun spreading silly rumours (that are so easy to prove wrong and ridiculous), but we're talking about a real person and his resignation here. WOSCARS WAS PACKED, and I wish those 200 people were here to prove you, BOB, wrong…

Ricky Gervaise has nothing to do with ACTUAL OSCARS… he was a host of Golden Globe Award. Get your facts right and then go on attacking people.

• Anon

I agree with Bob.

• Anon

I was there too – and I am able to confirm what Rob says. Mitchell was clearly ridiculing the offensive ideas and definitely did NOT make any jokes about the Holocaust or any sexist comments. He set himself up to be laughed AT and I would guess that practically everyone there 'got' it. I fear that a very small handful of people attended with the sole intention of finding something to be offended by, so they could make a complaint. It's awful that this small minded (and unrepresentative) group have succeeded in their aim and we have lost an excellent President. Depressing is the right and appropriate word.

• Billy Bragg Lover

I’d rather smoke weed and enjoy a chilled evening in than go out to Club Republic or somewhere equally as mind-numbingly vile, mashed on jagerbombs and spending upwards of £30.
    I can spend a tenner, stay in with my friends, not drink gallons of alcohol, watch some good movies and do some work, then wake up in the morning feeling fresh. Enjoy your hangover.

• Billy Bragg Lover

Also, we know that Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies doesn’t have any hidden symbolism – it’s a fucking stoner movie, it’s about weed and the munchies.

• Eddie Punchclock

This article seems needlessly mean. The author obviously has some sort of issue with some particular ‘stoners’ and has decided to pigeonhole an awful lot of people. While there is some obvious truth in the ‘white middle-class’ student stoner stereotype, isn’t this the case with all students? Students as a whole are probably the most pretentious people out there. Long established student ‘activist’ stereotypes, as well as near-identical student club nights that are hugely popular across the country signify a lack of individuality across the board. The author’s arguments about the detrimental ‘effects’ of marijuana are hardly scientific. They are the equivalent to me arguing that all drunk people talk nonsense and are overly aggressive so you should not drink even if you want to. Surely the author is actually arguing against people expressing their individuality by telling what they should and should not consume, even if smoking weed makes some people happier than alternative leisure activities. Furthermore, I think the author needs to add student journalists to the top of the list of people who love the sound of their own voice…

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

Review: Spilt Milk

Ridiculous, witty and funny, Sayana enjoyed her evening in Spilt Milk (although not literally, because that would be gross…).

By on

State of the Union: Charlotte Ivers wins presidential election

And by a landslide: 517, to Sachin Parathalingam’s 304 votes.

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness