Review: I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change

By on

TOBY PARKER REES thinks 'this is a production that very much deserves to be seen'.

ADC Theatre, 2nd – 6th February,  7.45pm,  £6-9

Directed by Pippa Dinnage

Before the review, since I hear from David Lowry that Tab is read exclusively by perverts I should say that in the first five minutes of this play you get to see the whole cast in their very brief briefs. Front AND back. Good, ok, then. This is a production that very much deserves to be seen. Notice that I say production, rather than play. The script is, for the most part, dreck. It reads like one of those sitcoms that gets cancelled in America and then bought by E4 as part of their reptilian plan to shrink our brains to worker ant size. At one point a man mentions how he never asks for directions. Even Michael Macintyre knows that’s a cliché by now. As a production, however, it is excellent. Seinfeld-level performances, West End slickness and in the interval I had to shout my order at the bar. Everyone was humming too loud. A film couldn’t support this script, but theatre is not one of those tired finished arts, it is immediate and engaging, so the performances explode the script.

Photos: Tim Johns –

The four actors play more roles between them than an English student can comfortably count, bringing a dextrous warmth to each character, however fleeting. The combination of heavy stylisation and particular nuance reminded me most of a Pixar film, which is praise indeed. This comparison extends to the audience as well; it is a truism that there’s something for everyone with Pixar, so the laughter and applause tends to be tiered. Throughout the performance last night there was a strange duet between the appreciative brays whenever innuendo or gender archetype appeared and the cackles of the cognoscenti at the actual comedy. Musical comedy lives and dies by the intercourse of voice and music and I Love You You’re Perfect etc is sexual. The music is played with verve and élan, and every actor’s singing voice matches their overall accomplishment of expression. If it was sex you’d ruin your sheets and lose your deposit. The battle of the sexes theme applies even to the musicians, Travis Winstanley on piano and Sarah Morley on violin. Vaudeville chemistry, lovely. It is becoming a tedious default reaction to preface a good review of an uncontroversial production with a defensive comparison to the highbrow or the avant-garde. By this standard I should finish by saying ‘it isn’t Beckett, but Beckett was a French-speaking bedwetter’. But luckily for all of us I’m not Jeremy Clarkson. I will say that relatively safe comedy performed and directed fantastically is far superior to Ricky Gervais awkwardly calling Barack Obama a monkey, or whatever’s being bellowed about Heather Mills’ stump on Mock the Week. The jokes in this play, however, are not as good as Stewart Lee’s. But it is an immensely entertaining, polished and near faultless production of a very popular play, far exceeding the various limp and uninspired incarnations it had in Edinburgh this Summer.

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By , Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Queens’ JCR President announces Bops return with a YouTube Christmas poem

College authorities succumb to the people’s demand for glorified, semi-ironic organised fun

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By ,         on

How to have sex at a house party

‘Have you seen the rest of the flat? I’ll give you a tour’

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness

By , Argument Editor on

If quoting a film gets them kicked out of uni, it’s no wonder medics aren’t fun

A Leicester medic channelled Liam Neeson and paid a heavy price

By , Royal Holloway Guide Features Editor of The Tab on

A former London bus driver tells us why he decided to work for Uber instead

He genuinely didn’t see you running for the bus