Stay Glassy, Cambridge

A Cambridge alumnus was brutally bludgeoned with a bottle at Life on Sunday.

The popular hangout, officially named The Place, was host to the bottling of grad Jimmy Appleton, formerly of Girton College, by an engineer who left last year.

The tiff occurred as the unknown student was angered by Appleton's attempts to exclude him from their circle on the dance floor.

A source told The Tab, "He was insanely drunk. An altercation occured on the dance floor and Appleton pushed him in the face and told him to 'fuck off!' He grabbed an empty VK from the table next to him and struck him over the face."

His Facebook profile this morning read: "James Appleton can now add being bottled to his list of injuries…"

Following various comments asking what happened, Appleton typed: "Standard – drunk idiot barging around and trying to dance v. inappropriately, I quite reasonably positioned myself so he was blocked out of the circle we were in, he started trying to grope me from behind so I turned, pushed him out to arms length and he responded by cracking a bottle around my left eye…"

Appleton didn't go to A&E, saying that "head wounds always look a lot messier than they are – had a nice bloody face, neck and chest but it's only about a 1cm slice, so not going to bother with A+E. It wasn't a particularly massive hit, just happened to involve a glass bottle…!"

The brawler, however, was marched outside by bouncers, during which the lights were turned off by the club, was slammed into the back of a police van and spent the night in a cell.

He was released the next morning (Monday), charged with drunk and disorderly behaviour, and has since returned home.

According to The Tab's source, a witness's description of the event was deemed by a judge to be relied upon in court.

One possible explanation for the violence was the severe overcrowding caused by The Hawks’ Club's Megahall at Churchill. The event, for 400 people and styled as 'Cambridge's Biggest Ever Dinner', promised free entry to Life.

But after a dessert of sticky toffee pudding, it was the dance floor that turned into a gooey mess, as scores escaped outside to beat the heat.

The incident was not the only one to upset revellers’ Sunday night-out, as the club allegedly later suffered a power cut.

One third-year Jesus clubber said, "there wasn't a complete power cut but the main lights went off for about 20 minutes, and then the music went for about 5 minutes so people started leaving. I stayed though and they both came back on."

But for hundreds of other people, the night was well and truly over: a huge crowd was spotted leaving just after 1am.

@TabCambridge
  • PPP

This is bizarre! I sustained a bad black left eye and a cut on my forehead on that very night! It might be the same person – could Jimmy or the writer of this article please contact me?

• Ellooo

I think I dated this girl…

Heard something newsworthy?

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

A donor has been found for Lara, sister of a Cambridge undergraduate

Lara says in the video, “Very excited to tell you some great news.”

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset