Stay Glassy, Cambridge

A Cambridge alumnus was brutally bludgeoned with a bottle at Life on Sunday.

The popular hangout, officially named The Place, was host to the bottling of grad Jimmy Appleton, formerly of Girton College, by an engineer who left last year.

The tiff occurred as the unknown student was angered by Appleton's attempts to exclude him from their circle on the dance floor.

A source told The Tab, "He was insanely drunk. An altercation occured on the dance floor and Appleton pushed him in the face and told him to 'fuck off!' He grabbed an empty VK from the table next to him and struck him over the face."

His Facebook profile this morning read: "James Appleton can now add being bottled to his list of injuries…"

Following various comments asking what happened, Appleton typed: "Standard – drunk idiot barging around and trying to dance v. inappropriately, I quite reasonably positioned myself so he was blocked out of the circle we were in, he started trying to grope me from behind so I turned, pushed him out to arms length and he responded by cracking a bottle around my left eye…"

Appleton didn't go to A&E, saying that "head wounds always look a lot messier than they are – had a nice bloody face, neck and chest but it's only about a 1cm slice, so not going to bother with A+E. It wasn't a particularly massive hit, just happened to involve a glass bottle…!"

The brawler, however, was marched outside by bouncers, during which the lights were turned off by the club, was slammed into the back of a police van and spent the night in a cell.

He was released the next morning (Monday), charged with drunk and disorderly behaviour, and has since returned home.

According to The Tab's source, a witness's description of the event was deemed by a judge to be relied upon in court.

One possible explanation for the violence was the severe overcrowding caused by The Hawks’ Club's Megahall at Churchill. The event, for 400 people and styled as 'Cambridge's Biggest Ever Dinner', promised free entry to Life.

But after a dessert of sticky toffee pudding, it was the dance floor that turned into a gooey mess, as scores escaped outside to beat the heat.

The incident was not the only one to upset revellers’ Sunday night-out, as the club allegedly later suffered a power cut.

One third-year Jesus clubber said, "there wasn't a complete power cut but the main lights went off for about 20 minutes, and then the music went for about 5 minutes so people started leaving. I stayed though and they both came back on."

But for hundreds of other people, the night was well and truly over: a huge crowd was spotted leaving just after 1am.

@TabCambridge
  • PPP

This is bizarre! I sustained a bad black left eye and a cut on my forehead on that very night! It might be the same person – could Jimmy or the writer of this article please contact me?

• Ellooo

I think I dated this girl…

Heard something newsworthy?

Cambridge has a huge class problem

You don’t need to be embarrassed if you grew up in a house with a dining room.

Tab Top Ten: Date Spots

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, we bring you Cambridge’s bestest hangouts for the perfect romantic date.

, Assistant Editor, The Tab

Every conversation you’ve ever had on your family Whatsapp group

Why does Dad use so many full stops?

, Argument Editor

Every awkward moment after a couple in your friendship group break up

Is it acceptable to start a new WhatsApp group without him in it?

Experts say you shouldn’t ride elephants in Thailand

A tourist was killed, and the animals are often unhappy

, Contributing Editor

More people should tell Chris Martin that he’s awful

It’s the right thing to do

, Chief Reporter

Sushi could be the key to getting a second date on Valentine’s Day

Is raw fish really an aphrodisiac?