Stay Glassy, Cambridge

A Cambridge alumnus was brutally bludgeoned with a bottle at Life on Sunday.

The popular hangout, officially named The Place, was host to the bottling of grad Jimmy Appleton, formerly of Girton College, by an engineer who left last year.

The tiff occurred as the unknown student was angered by Appleton's attempts to exclude him from their circle on the dance floor.

A source told The Tab, "He was insanely drunk. An altercation occured on the dance floor and Appleton pushed him in the face and told him to 'fuck off!' He grabbed an empty VK from the table next to him and struck him over the face."

His Facebook profile this morning read: "James Appleton can now add being bottled to his list of injuries…"

Following various comments asking what happened, Appleton typed: "Standard – drunk idiot barging around and trying to dance v. inappropriately, I quite reasonably positioned myself so he was blocked out of the circle we were in, he started trying to grope me from behind so I turned, pushed him out to arms length and he responded by cracking a bottle around my left eye…"

Appleton didn't go to A&E, saying that "head wounds always look a lot messier than they are – had a nice bloody face, neck and chest but it's only about a 1cm slice, so not going to bother with A+E. It wasn't a particularly massive hit, just happened to involve a glass bottle…!"

The brawler, however, was marched outside by bouncers, during which the lights were turned off by the club, was slammed into the back of a police van and spent the night in a cell.

He was released the next morning (Monday), charged with drunk and disorderly behaviour, and has since returned home.

According to The Tab's source, a witness's description of the event was deemed by a judge to be relied upon in court.

One possible explanation for the violence was the severe overcrowding caused by The Hawks’ Club's Megahall at Churchill. The event, for 400 people and styled as 'Cambridge's Biggest Ever Dinner', promised free entry to Life.

But after a dessert of sticky toffee pudding, it was the dance floor that turned into a gooey mess, as scores escaped outside to beat the heat.

The incident was not the only one to upset revellers’ Sunday night-out, as the club allegedly later suffered a power cut.

One third-year Jesus clubber said, "there wasn't a complete power cut but the main lights went off for about 20 minutes, and then the music went for about 5 minutes so people started leaving. I stayed though and they both came back on."

But for hundreds of other people, the night was well and truly over: a huge crowd was spotted leaving just after 1am.

@TabCambridge
  • PPP

This is bizarre! I sustained a bad black left eye and a cut on my forehead on that very night! It might be the same person – could Jimmy or the writer of this article please contact me?

• Ellooo

I think I dated this girl…

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

and

EXCLUSIVE: VP Richard Brooks confirms NUS defintion of anti-Semitism

Brooks said the NUS take claims of anti-Semitism “incredibly seriously” but didn’t comment directly on the reaction to Malia Bouattia.

NICK CLEGG “Politics is a messy business, your ideals clash with reality”

Nick, we’re paying for the consequences of that clash. Literally.

, Head of Marketing

I’d rather hang out with my parents than go clubbing

Most of my friends would, too

, Durham Editor of The Tab

Rhodes Must Fall founder makes waitress cry ‘typical white tears’

He wrote ‘WE WILL GIVE TIP WHEN YOU RETURN THE LAND’

,        

How to check your boobs: A guide

It’s so easy

Aussie street style: Melbourne

Could you be any more laidback

We asked our mums if they hate having us back at home after university

A new study has found live-at-home adults are a £1.2 billion drain on their parents