College Bar Crawl: Sidney Sussex

By on

The Tab finds Sidney bar cheap as chips if a little pokey.

Sidney (opposite Sainsbury’s) has another of Cambridge’s remaining student run bars and the ethos is to match. Pricing is now definitively ahead of The Regal (99p pint – how we miss you) and probably winning the battle against Emma bar, although by mere pennies in some cases.  This bar is not really the most impressive at the first glance; it’s fairly pokey, one (small) floor high, and pretty much a rectangle, giving the perhaps accurate perception that this is more of a room that contains some alcohol for which you can exchange money rather than a bona-fide edifice to drinking.

Being a college bar, attached to one of the smaller and less filthy-rich colleges (by my calculations assets of somewhere just under £100m, the paupers!) this is fairly excusable, and the well-run and well-stocked, if small, bar itself backs up the Sidney students’ claims. While the booze is cheap, it is also pretty varied, and Sidney must be commended for currently running its very own College ale (Porcupine, by Milton, a decent session beer at 4% abv, to be specific), which is a distinction very few colleges can claim.

At this point I tried to work out why exactly Sidney’s college animal is an electric blue porcupine (a relative of Sonic, maybe) – but my strenuous research has only informed me that porcupines apparently float in water. So now you know.

Back to the bar. Also noticeable (and taking up a fair amount of the limited space) are some pool tables and a dartboard – apparently at various times in the near past, Sidney has had fairly successful pub sports teams. Suggestions from assorted academics that this may indicate where undergrads’ time is being spent, and pointing out potential correlation to their current, fairly dire, standings in the Tompkins Table, are not for me to comment on. Point of the matter is, Sidney bar is pretty well kitted out for a good visit and if this breaks the bank, you may have to give up and just have some cans in the park.

Which isn’t such a terrible idea.

How green in my dollar?
Pint: £1.30
Double Vodka + Cranberry: £2.40
Wine: £1.20

• sidney

theres a porcupine on our crest

• J R

The Porcupine was the ?crest of the Sidney family. The pub in Penshurst village used to bear that name. Less frivolusly, the famous Sir Philip Sidney, who supposedly gave his own water to another thirsty, mortally-wounded soldier, received a state funeral and the funeral helm, bearing a porcupine, still remains at Penshurst.

So now you and I both know why Sidney sells souvenir ties adorned with jolly porcupines as well as the equally worthy pheon design.

• Rob

Tbf it was a bit ott and cringey. But was also pretty well made and verging on epic…

• This…

… Is news?

• Tab

No, and this isn’t a news website

• real talk

Headline should be:

Girl tries to get slightly famous by sleeping with someone mildly famous, before publicising her conquest through a trashy media outlet.

Tried and tested method, doesn’t always work but best of luck tooth. Hopefully you’ll make it to love island one day!

• Joe Muir

That Steven Tarquinio kid sounds like a real loser.

• who’s??

“whose majoring in”

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By , Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Queens’ JCR President announces Bops return with a YouTube Christmas poem

College authorities succumb to the people’s demand for glorified, semi-ironic organised fun

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Contributing Editor on

Buying drugs used to be dangerous and sexy, now it’s for nerds

If you buy with bitcoin you’re a neek

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By ,         on

How to have sex at a house party

‘Have you seen the rest of the flat? I’ll give you a tour’

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness

By , Argument Editor on

If quoting a film gets them kicked out of uni, it’s no wonder medics aren’t fun

A Leicester medic channelled Liam Neeson and paid a heavy price