Here are the Sussex societies raising money during isolation

At least some good has come out of being stuck inside

Times are tough, but Sussex students are tougher, and when not getting buzzcuts or making banana bread, Sussex societies have been working hard during lockdown to raise money for the NHS and charitable causes, not to mention raising some good ol’ fashioned community spirit whilst they’re at it.

In case you missed it, here’s what our students have been up to:

USWFC’s ‘Kick 5, nominate 5’

View this post on Instagram

Hello everyone, as many of you have seen, Charlotte Swift, our third team goal keeper, sadly passed away the other day. In memory of Charlotte, we would like to start a fundraiser to raise money for a charity that was recommended by her family and was very close to Charlotte’s heart. This charity is ‘Last Chance Animal Rescue’, which is based in Kent and is where Charlotte and her family got their spaniel from, which was Charlotte’s best friend growing up. The fundraising part is simple. You’ve probably all seen the ‘run 5, donate 5, nominate 5’ challenge that’s going around on Instagram. Well we have changed it slightly to ‘kick 5, donate 5, nominate 5’. All you have to do is film yourself doing 5 kicks of anything (you can be as creative as you want), donate £5 on the fundraising page below, and then nominate 5 more people to do it. The link will also be in our bio so please direct people to that. We would also like to make a video of all of these to send to Charlotte’s family, so please @sussexwomensfootball use the hashtag ‘#RIP Charlotte’ in your stories. Again, we as committee are always here if anyone needs to talk, and we really encourage talking to anyone if you are struggling with anything, please don’t struggle alone ❤️ So much football love xoxo https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/uswfc20

A post shared by USWFC (@sussexwomensfootball) on

University of Sussex Women’s Football Society have been fundraising in memory of third team goalkeeper, Charlotte Swift, who sadly passed away this month. These ladies decided to raise money for Last Chance Animal Rescue, a charity close to Charlotte’s heart, by creating their very own ‘kick 5, nominate 5’ Instagram challenge.

Despite a goal of £250, the team have raised a whopping £3,650, and this number continues to rise. Huge respect to USWFC and everyone who participated in the challenge! You can donate to Charlotte’s cause here.

Sussex Netball’s Run for the NHS

Sussex Netball Society are running the length of the UK (!!!) in order to raise money for our much-loved NHS. Of course, this is no easy feat, but working together these guys have already run 700 of 1,400 kilometres. An incredible £1,000 was raised in the first 24 hours alone, and since then the total has risen to over £3,000! Support was shown on twitter by England Netball captain, Serena Guthrie, helping spread the message far and wide.

The challenge is set to last ten days, so there is still plenty of time to donate on their Just Giving page.

Brighton & Sussex Marrow’s #HeroAtHome

Brighton & Sussex Marrow Society, who fundraise all year round for stem cell charity Anthony Nolan, are working especially hard to raise money for their emergency appeal, which will help to keep money and resources available for those battling blood cancer during the coronavirus pandemic.

View this post on Instagram

Many of our committee and volunteers were supposed to be taking part in Rough Runner this weekend to raise vital funds for Anthony Nolan. Due to the current circumstances, the event was cancelled. COVID-19 has also meant that the money Anthony Nolan recieves from incredible supporters is even more vital. The coronavirus pandemic means we’re all dealing with anxieties, frustrations and changes, but for blood cancer patients who can’t wait any longer for a stem cell transplant, this time is absolutely critical. As you may have seen from the government guidance, those with compromised immune systems, particularly transplant recipients and blood cancer patients are incredibly high risk. Lifesaving transplants can’t stop because of the current coronavirus pandemic. Without emergency financial support, stem cell donations could never make it to the patients who are counting on them to survive. To fund this emergency response, we need to raise vital extra funds every month that the coronavirus pandemic goes on. £25 could help fund our Patient Grants for those who are facing financial hardship at this difficult time. £40 could help pay for additional health checks for our donors to ensure they can safely donate. £60 could help keep the emergency ‘Handover Hub’ at Heathrow open as a lifesaving link, meaning that international couriers, who can’t go into hospitals due to quarantine rules, can handover stem cells to one of our UK volunteers for the final lifesaving leg. Please be a #HeroAtHome & give anything you can using the link in our bio & share with friends and family. We know there are so many worthy causes that are in need of help at the moment but as mentioned, blood cancer patients simply can't wait for their lifesaving transplants. We are also arranging some raffles and other fundraising events, with proceeds to be given to this same page so stay tuned & if you are a company or individual with a raffle prize to offer, please get in touch. You can also still sign up to the stem cell register at anthonynolan.org/SussexMarrow 💙 Stay safe everyone !

A post shared by Brighton & Sussex Marrow (@brightonsussex_marrow) on

In light of the cancellation of the Rough Runner, which many of the committee and volunteers were hoping to participate in, the team have had to think more creatively about how they can raise money from home. They’ve organised a raffle in collaboration with Brighton-based tattoo artist, Abbie, who will be giving a free tat to a lucky winner at Heartbreaker Tattoo (once it is safe again). Tickets are £5 each, and all proceeds go to Anthony Nolan. Enter by donating to the Just Giving page, here!

View this post on Instagram

Do you fancy being a #HeroAtHome & being in with a chance of winning a tattoo by the amazing @mmxnson ? 💙 The prize is one palm-sized tattoo, to be done by @mmxnson at Heartbreaker Tattoo in Brighton once life goes back to normal at a date and time arranged with her. 💙One entry ticket costs £5 & should be given to the JustGiving link in our bio, there are 100 tickets available with the winner being announced when all tickets sell out. 💙All proceeds are going towards @anthonynolancharity to fund emergency coronavirus action (see our last post for how your money will help). 💙You may enter as many times as you like but you should provide a individual screenshot of each payment confirmation of the JustGiving website and send us this via DM. Let us know if you have any questions ! Stay safe everyone & thank you for your support 💙 Thank you Abbie for donating this amazing prize x

In total, these Sussex societies have raised over seven thousand pounds for their chosen charities – well done to everyone involved, let’s keep it up Suss!