Image may contain: Outdoors, Tarmac, Asphalt, Sports Car, Grass, Plant, Road, Transportation, Automobile, Car, Vehicle

A gunman is on the loose in Brighton city centre according to police reports

Gunshots were heard on Birdham Road

A gunman has been reported to be loose in the city after he evaded police capture last night.

The gunman fled police capture after a planned police siege took place on a property in Moulsecoomb last night.

This siege was in response to an earlier incident on Sunday night, where gunshots were heard by nearby residents.

Officers have since shut off Birdham Road and police are urging locals to stay inside their properties. Pictures from the scene show shotgun casings scattered on the street.

The incident was nearly two days ago, but the police have announced that the suspect still remains at large. They have said that there is no further risk to the public.

Speaking to The Argus, a Sussex Police spokesman said: “A known suspect is outstanding and enquiries are ongoing to locate him. A firearm believed to have been involved in the incident also remains outstanding.

"The investigation continues and there is nothing at this time to suggest there is a risk to the wider public."

Police are urging anyone with information to contact 999 or online quoting serial 1712 of 04/08.