What it’s like being pro-Brexit at uni

‘You’re the Trump supporter, aren’t you?’

There are many misconceptions associated with being pro-Brexit. To start with, you don’t have to be a UKIP supporter – there are many people from various other parties who want the UK to leave the EU (though I am actually a Kipper). Other comments I’ve heard made about people voting for independence include “fascist” and “anti-immigration”.

I remember my first week of university there was a societies fair, and the most stereotypical hippie walked up to me and held leaflets up to my face screaming: “Socialism! You like socialism? Join socialist society”. This was aggressive to say the least and apparently “I’ll be honest, I fucking hate it” was the wrong answer.

Some people dismiss you straight away, it’s like you are a leper walking through campus, but instead of lacking limbs you just lack similar opinions.

Brownie points to anyone who knows which British band’s poster is on my wall!

I would like to point out some irony: most people who wish to remain claim to be liberal, yet only when others opinions don’t differ to their own. It’s these same people that will come out of nowhere and attack you for having a different opinion, at the bar or on on the bus the whole notion of freedom of speech has gone out the fucking window. I’m surprised I can even take a shit in peace.

They’re also voting for a  bureaucracy in which they do not currently – and will never – have much of a say in, neither will our elected representatives in the European parliament. Therefore they are “liberal” whilst supporting a very undemocratic system. Yeah, good one, that makes sense, tell me more.

People also claim that those pro-Brexit are anti-immigration. Currently the EU allows a free movement of people for member states and therefore those immigrating to Britain are mainly from inside the EU. What isn’t spoken about is the difficulty for people outside of the EU to obtain a visa, which is by definition, discrimination (that’s right you never thought you were discriminating did you?).

By leaving the EU, those applying to immigrate – regardless of where they’re from – will be treated equally and fairly. Who is anti-immigration now? How the tables have turned.

I mean I’m half Italian (ciao ladies), but I was born here. Obviously second generation immigrants shouldn’t be deported and no one is saying that they should, many people are just ignorant to policies or are too thick to understand them.

Sussex student, Edwin, told The Tab: “I want Britain to vote to leave the EU. I am not in favour of a supranational organisation dictating, which laws we can, and cannot abide by in this country. Whether that be based on something as complex as immigration and having an open border to the rest of the EU, or on something as simple as fishing quotas, the EU has too much influence in this country which I feel is a violation of our national sovereignty.

“I cannot wait for the day when Britain makes its own laws as opposed to bureaucrats in Brussels making them for us. Furthermore I wish to say that the case for Brexit, is not to do with ‘making Britain great again’ but simply a matter of common sense.”

Anti-EU propaganda which I created during my schools mock election in sixth form, disliked by some because even at a private school champagne socialism was rife

People often tell me that “75% of our trade comes from the EU”. Well this is only because of tariffs which stop us from trading with countries outside – it’s not the EU is doing us some massive favour there. People do not understand this, they just don’t. I’m going to try to explain it with an analogy but when someone doesn’t want to understand something they wont, so I find myself going in circles.

I will try an analogy though: let’s say David Cameron is the EU, Boris Johnson is the UK and their friendship represents trade – they are best friends! But what about the fact that David doesn’t allow Boris to have any other friends, that Boris is only allowed to chill with David in his spare time. Is that a good friendship? Sounds like Dave is being controlling and obsessive (just like the EU).

People tell me that leaving is a “massive risk, a massive, massive risk”, but at least it’s a future that we will decide for ourselves, because staying is also a massive risk but one which we have no control over. When the monetary union continues to fail, which it will (you can’t argue with economics), we are all fucked.