The best booze-free activities in Brighton

Get out of the house, you slob

| UPDATED brighton cafe cake food meatliquor student sussex university university

We’ve already brought you a rundown of the best nights out in Btown, but what is there to do during the day besides watching copious amounts of Netflix? Here are some of the best Brightonian days around.

Cloud 9

You can get great cakes pretty much anywhere in Brighton, but Cloud 9 is the best by a mile.

They have all sorts of amazing cupcakes, ice-creams, cookies, waffles, shakes and hot drinks. It’s a really lovely place for an afternoon tea, plus all of their bakes are made fresh right in the heart of the Brighton South Lanes.

If you’re going to check it out, you have to go for a slice of their amazing rainbow cake. BONUS: there’s 2 stores in Brighton to help fuel your sugar addiction.

(15 Brighton Pl, Brighton BN1 1HJ // 15a Kensington Gardens, Brighton, BN1 4AL)

Roly’s fudge 

You’re not going to be disappointed if you go to Roly’s Fudge. Using traditional methods, Roly’s makes the best crumbly handmade fudge in tons of different varieties: chocolate, vanilla, sea salt, butterscotch, baileys, coffee and strawberries & cream… the list goes on.

Foodies will take delight in seeing the fudge being made before their eyes in the store window. Plus, Roly’s offers a student discount of 10%.

(9A Kensington Gardens, North Laine, Brighton BN1 4AL)

Bardsley’s Chip Shop

You’ve got to have fish and chips while you’re in Brighton, and nowhere is better than Bardsley’s, an authentic and award-winning fish and chip restaurant.

Praised for its great food and friendly atmosphere, Bardsley’s is incredibly popular and become known as the best, most traditional chippie in Brighton.

(22-23 Baker Street, Brighton BN1 4JN)

Snoopers Paradise 

Described as a ‘like a museum where you can buy things’, Snoopers is a sight for sore eyes.

The uniqueness of Snoopers Paradise is a metaphor for the originality of the city of Brighton. If Fight Club is a cult film, Snoopers is a cult shop.

Full of everything vintage from magazines, furniture, jewellery, photographs and clothing, this charming place takes you back in time to attempt finding all sorts of treasures amongst the bric and brac. It’s a must if you’re going to Brighton as you could easily spend hours in there and never see 2 things the same.

(7 Kensington Gardens, North Laine, Brighton BN1 4AL)

This is not a Butchers 

This is one of the cquirkiest shops in the North Laines area. It’s full of everything from Star Wars merch, crude mugs and wall hangings to fairy lights and penis pasta (the essentials). It’s a teeny-tiny shop but you could easily spend an afternoon in there, . If you’re struggling for ideas to get someone a present, this wacky gift shop is the perfect place. As an added bonus, their store playlist is Abba on repeat.

(28 Bond St, Brighton BN1)

Gelato gusto 

It’s all ‘I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice cream’ at Gelato Gusto. It is no surprise that on a sunny Saturday afternoon, the que for this place is pouring out of the shop and into the streets of the North Laines. With a wide range of sorbets, gelatos, desserts and drinks on the menu, this is one of the highest rated and most popular places for ice-cream in Brighton.

(2 Gardner St, Brighton BN1 1UP)

Kokoro (57 North Street, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 1RH)

With very generous portion sizes and great value for money, this place is really good for a quick lunch. Kokoro has all sorts of salads, soups, sushi, and hot dishes such as sweet & sour chicken plus chicken teriyaki. The chicken katsu curry and sweet chilli chicken (which is more chilli than sweet) are both winners. Forget Wagamama, Kororo is the place for Japanese.

MEATliquor

You can’t go wrong here, even if you’re not a burger fan. We recommenced the dead hippy burger (as weird as it sounds), and the monkey fingers are also incredible.

Booking is recommended as it is so popular, ut this place is worth it. They also have a wide variety of cocktails and alcoholic shakes to try out and enjoy during the night.

The décor and music are loud and electric which helps set the vibe for a great evening.

(22-23 York Pl, Brighton BN1 4GU)

JB’s American Diner

This place transports you to America in the 1950s. The only thing missing is that the waitresses don’t serve food while wearing rollerblades.

Full of red booths, authentic American food & shakes, super quirky décor and Tom and Jerry cartoons, JB’s is a must. With reasonably priced food and generously portioned dishes, students will be in food heaven here. Highlights include the pancakes, puddings, and humongous shakes.

(31 King’s Rd, Brighton BN1 1NR)