All the moments in Bridgerton that St Andrews students can relate to

The stress of finding an academic spouse is only the beginning

The new Netflix series Bridgerton, adapted from Julia Quinn’s 2000 novel ‘The Duke and I’ has been a hit for many lockdown viewers. Since its release on Christmas Day 2020, the show has been watched by 63 million households. The drama filled series follows the lives of London socialites, most notably, Daphne Bridgerton and the Duke of Hastings. The season documents the trials of social standings, courtship and matrimony.

Since the series has dropped it has dominated the conversation on social media, Zoom calls and socially distanced walks. It is safe to say that it has proved the perfect time filler for those stuck at home with nothing to do or as an adequate procrastination activity for those whose dissertations are due in week one.

One of the best things about Bridgerton is its ability to transport you back to 19th Century England where viewers were able to live their social lives vicariously through the characters. But something else was apparent about the first season of Bridgerton, there’s so many moments that scream St Andrews. While we may not (all) be London socialites, here’s all the moments in Bridgerton that St Andrews students can relate to.

‘Ambitious Mamas’

When your academic mother forces you into an unflattering costume for the Raisin Monday foam fight. The family’s reputation depends on the children’s attire; nothing short of perfection will do.

‘Another ball to attend?’

In Bridgerton’s social season the mantra appears to be ‘new episode, new ball’. Similarly, in pre-Covid times, the St Andrews social calendar was scattered with endless balls.

While in St Andrews, the purpose of the balls are not to seduce potential suitors, it is still the upmost importance to don the perfect dress you purchased for the occasion.

‘I wish to nurture my mind’

Attending St Andrews is enough to prove that St Andrews students share Eloise’s sentiments. Our university experience centres around enriching our knowledge, not finding a spouse!

‘You do not know me, and rest assured, you never shall.’

Students are well aquatinted to anonymous gossip sources. Crushes and St Fessdrews are the St Andrews equivalent of Bridgerton’s Lady Whistledown and sometimes just as scandalous, I only have three words: Rocca Ham Heist.

Diamond of the First Water’

The eligibility contest, one of the first scenes is very similar to The Tab’s most eligible bachelor and bachelorette competition which runs in the spring of every year.

In Bridgerton however, there is no public vote, Queen Charlotte determines the “diamond” of the season.

‘Let’s promenade’

As in St Andrews, walking is a common activity in Bridgerton. Whether it is the beaches, lade braes or the coastal path you’re bound to meet a friend en-route.

Walking is a good way to relax, socialise or (if you’re so inclined) show off!

‘The girls shall have new dresses’

A visit to the town’s modiste is about as sociable as a visit to Pret St Andrews, you’re bound to bump into someone and pick up some juicy new gossip.

Academic Covid weddings

Daphne and Simon were ahead of their time with their minimalist wedding!

Academic fiancées in St Andrews can relate as many weddings have been put on hold as a result of Covid restrictions.

We hope to see an academic engagement, weddings and family boom when things return to normal, but in the meantime take a leaf out of the Hastings’ book. 

‘A young lady could never have too many dresses’

St Andrews students may not attend lectures in corsets and petticoats but the red gown is a wardrobe staple for many. And just as damaging to my overdraft.

‘Simply splendid’

St Andrews students will be familiar with the London accent claimed as the ‘posh’ accent. Many believe that their accents have become more ‘posh’ than they were before arriving in St Andrews.

Learning new, niche words specific to your course also give you a sense of superiority when you’re explaining your modules to your flatmates.

Picturesque scenery

Understandably, both St Andrews and Bridgerton has been praised for its beautiful settings. From the town houses to the parks every scene in Bridgerton “looks like a painting”.

Similarly, the scenery, buildings and ruins in St Andrews certainly rival the Bridgerton set and we have the addition of the gorgeous North Sea and coastal path.

‘We all must know what the Queen despises more than anything – being wrong’

Sally Mapstone is St Andrews’ Queen Charlotte. Just as Queen Charlotte dictates the social standing of the town, Sally Mapstone controls “voluntary lockdown” and the return of students to town during the global pandemic.

The end of the social season

As Prince William once noted, you leave St Andrews either married or an alcoholic. Whilst the prince was talking metaphorically, in Bridgeton the end of the social season sees some bachelorettes leave London married or drowning their sorrows!