BREAKING: Today there were nine new cases of coronavirus at St Andrews Uni

Yesterday the Principal said there had been 12 cases since the start of September

Today, nine new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed amongst students at the University of St Andrews.

The total number of cases at the University since 1 September has now risen to 21. These involve 19 students, and two members of staff.

A press release from the University said: “All are in isolation, have comparatively mild illness, and are being supported by the University’s Covid Rapid Response and Student Services teams.

“In every case, students followed procedures, notifying the University of their test results and remaining in isolation.”

NHS Fife and Public Health Scotland are working with the University and those in close contact with the affected students are also in isolation.

Principal Professor Sally Mapstone said earlier this week: “So many of you have responded selflessly and constructively to our call last week for a voluntary lockdown.

“I know that this has not been popular, and that none of you would have wished to have your experience of St Andrews curtailed in this way. As a student community, however, you have set a really positive example for others to follow.”

The press release continued: “While St Andrews has asked its students again not to visit pubs, bars or restaurants this weekend, sporting and other student activity will continue.

“The Byre Theatre is screening films especially for students, live-streaming Shakespeare, and holding a digital music festival.

“Students have also been encouraged to go to the beach if they wish, providing they follow new Scottish Government guidance on households mixing.

“St Andrews has also developed a dedicated Wellbeing section on its website with links to support and advice for students who are anxious or need help during self-isolation.”