Coronavirus friendly day trips from St Andrews

Perfect for a day away from the Bubble

beach bunker days out scotland st Andrews

Nestled in the middle of nowhere, Fife has beautiful displays of nature and scenic hotspots for adventurers to explore.

If you’re still knocking about in St Andrews, or just fancy some inspiration for local things to do when we come back in September, look no further.

The Tab has come up with a list of exciting day trips to take, allowing you to (temporarily) escape the Bubble. From a ferry ride to the Isle of May to a day at an alpaca farm, there is something for everyone.

Most of these attractions are also open all year round, rain or shine.

Scotland’s Secret Bunker 

For all history enthusiasts, Scotland’s (not so) Secret Bunker is a must. Dating back to the Cold War period, the bunker was built to house the Scottish government in the event of a nuclear attack. Spanning 24,000 square feet and extending 100 feet underground, much of the equipment remains in its original place to offer an accurate representation of 1950s Scotland. Hourly sirens recreate the omnipresent fear of a nuclear attack and the bunker houses two cinemas which show clips of daily life and official government messages to civilians.

Fife Coastal Path 

Spanning nearly 200 kilometres, the Fife Coastal Path is a highly popular attraction for hikers and adventurers. Linking various fishing villages and coastal towns, the route is perfect for visitors to see the best Fife has to offer. Students could enjoy a free day out amidst stunning natural landscapes and peaceful towns, particularly during Spring.

Crail 

A short half an hour bus ride from St Andrews, the picturesque town of Crail is the perfect casual day out. A quiet, sleepy town, Crail boasts some of the best fish and chips in Fife, sourced straight from their harbour. Visitors can stop for a spot of tea, meander through the cobblestoned streets and stroll along the coastline. Keep an eye out for the doocot (Scottish for dovecot) which you can enter and explore further and Crail Pottery which boasts stunning handmade souvenirs.

Bowbridge Alpacas 

This family-owned farm is a perfect retreat from St Andrews, allowing students to meet and learn more about alpacas. Visitors can enjoy a tour of the farm; get up close and personal while feeding alpacas and leading them through an obstacle course; make your own mini alpaca fleece and learn how to needle-felt. Experts on alpacas, the farmers also educate visitors about the animals and their fleece and offer visitors the opportunity to capture some memorable snaps.

Dundee

At some point in their four years at St Andrews, students have surely found themselves in Dundee, whether to satisfy a late-night McDonalds craving or a night out in a ‘proper’ club. From cinemas and a range of restaurants, Dundee is a perfect break from the Bubble. The city also makes for a good day trip thanks to the V&A Dundee where you can peruse through some highlights of Scottish art and design including Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s original Oak Room. Located directly opposite the V&A, students can also climb aboard the RRS Discovery, one of two remaining ships in the world that completed an expedition to Antarctica.

Isle of May

A National Nature Reserve, the Isle of May is a popular day-trip destination for visitors thanks to its stunning natural beauty. Home to a wide variety of wildlife from seals and seabirds, the Isle of May is an adventure to spot different species and immerse yourself in the epitome of Scottish nature. With its fascinating history filled with Vikings and smugglers, the Isle offers an exciting escape from St Andrews.

Anstruther

Anstruther is a fishing village located only 20 minutes away from St Andrews. A go-to for all seafood enthusiasts, the town’s famous Anstruther Fish Bar has some of the highest quality seafood in the region. Throughout spring and summer, the town comes alive with visitors basking in the sun and strolling along the harbour.