Review: Sitara*

Sitara* brought up the rear of an always exceptional St Andrews Fashion Month.

From the moment guests stepped into Younger Hall last night, their expectations of the night were instantly confirmed. Vibrant and uniquely colourful decorations greeted guests instantly as they entered through to the main hall which had been completely transformed for the show. Indian tradition states that Rangoli designs are used to bring luck, however, for a committee so organised as Sitara*, I find it hard to believe that anything on the night was left to chance. The show was perfectly executed in every way and the choreographers of every discipline made the jaw-dropping transitions between high-fashion and dance seem so fluid.

Rehearsals after rehearsals resulted in a flawless blend of well-timed movements that allowed the models, dancers, and actors to feel comfortable in both clothes and setting. If the fact that the committee provided models with cupcakes, before and during the show, is not an incentive to get involved in Sitara* I really do not know what is.

The Hindu epic Ramayana contributed to the mythology and mystery behind the evening, and guests were helpfully filled in through the show’s detailed programmes.  A charged opening dance sequence further captured the crowd’s imagination before brilliantly-cast models took to the catwalk; and they were far from afraid to show their personality. Simply put, if the fusion of ‘fashion’ and ‘fun’ could ever be used to describe a show in St Andrews, it was, without a doubt, at Sitara* 2014.

The inclusive ticketing allowed any interested person to come to the show and generously filled VIP tables were definitely a hit with guests. All the while, a very efficient and affordable union bar did not remove attention from the show in the slightest. Regardless of what type of ticket purchased, everyone in the audience was up standing, around the catwalk, during the show and involved as much as the performers. This year was the first where models were featured in lingerie and this was so classily done – something which the other fashion shows have not yet quite mastered. It blended effortlessly, and did not awkwardly contrast with (or detract from) the juxtaposed outerwear. High end designs, from the likes of STYLEMART and Jenny Sun, looked stunning on the models who wore them effortlessly.

Ultimately, the “bright star” of St Andrews achieved everything it worked so hard in perfecting. Displaying the elegance, diversity and fun behind Asian culture, while raising funds for two amazing charities, was a goal that they taken upon themselves and had massively exceeded. Having teased guests with the several Bindi parties, held throughout the year, the atmosphere of the night was elated and filled with celebration, and appreciation, of the committee’s continued commitment in making this a fantastic night.

Images courtesy of Lightbox Creative