Worst Roommate Ever on Netflix: Where is Janie Ridd from season two episode one now?

She was found guilty of trying to poison her best friend with a deadly bacteria

Worst Roommate Ever is officially back on Netflix. At whilst at first you might have thought the name of this show meant it would be something about flatmates who eat your cheese or don’t do their washing up, after season one you’ll have realised it really, really isn’t that. Episode one of Worst Roommate Ever second season on Netflix tells the shocking story of Rachel, and roommate Janie Ridd.

Their story goes: Rachel moved in with a woman named Janie Ridd. The two women became best friends, and even co-parented Rachel’s young son together. After sharing a home for several years, Rachel fell deathly ill countless times, with no explanation.

The two women, whose episode on Worst Roommate Ever is titled “My BFF Tried to Kill Me”, lived together in Utah for nearly 25 years before everything came to a boil. So, here’s what happened and where Janie Ridd is now.

Worst Roommate Ever, Janie Ridd and Rachel

via Netflix

What happened to Worst Roommate Ever subjects Rachel and Janie Ridd?

The two women met and moved in together in 1995. In the Netflix show, Rachel described how Janie Ridd became controlling, after a back injury prevented her from working as a paramedic. Rachel was recovering from surgeries, and at the same time found out she was pregnant. This gave Janie “100 per cent control” over her.

For a while, the women co-parented Rachel’s son, but Janie once tried to get custody of the child. Janie apologised, and the women continued to live together.

Then, things took a turn. Rachel began to fall terribly ill all the time, and was hospitalised over her illnesses. At the same time, the FBI began investigating Janie over buying a bacteria called Vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA) on the dark web. It was believed Janie Ridd had been giving Rachel the bacteria, and also injecting her with insulin.

It was thought Janie’s motive was being obsessed with Rachel’s son, and wanting to have complete control of him. “I really have a hard time believing that the person I’ve known for 25 years, my best friend and roommate, could do what she did,” Rachel said on the Netflix show. “But it was diabolical, it was evil. It was plotted and planned so perfectly.”

Rachel added: “She found joy in tormenting me. I don’t think I was human to her.”

via Netflix

Where is Janie Ridd now?

Janie Ridd was charged with, and convicted of, aggravated abuse of a vulnerable adult, attempted aggravated abuse of a vulnerable adult, and attempted acquisition of a weapon of mass destruction. In 2020, she pleaded guilty to attempted intentional abuse of a disabled or elder adult and attempted possession of a weapon of mass destruction.

She served just over two years before being granted parole and released, in January 2022. Janie Ridd is now 55. A LinkedIn profile which appears to belong to her states she still lives in Utah, and works in an education centre.

Season two of Worst Roommate Ever is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.