Domino’s Pizza coming to town

Dervish? Empire? Or Domino’s…

Domino’s Pizza is officially opening a branch in St Andrews. Through the medium of ‘Notification of Construction’ leaflets, posted on College Street, the American franchise declared its future presence a few days ago, though no official date has been set for the grand opening.

This is however surprising: the Fife Council is very strict indeed when fast food is at issue. Our lack of standard fast food restaurants is due to this dismissive stance – one that they have maintained for a very long time. Their ethos is that high street eateries like McDonald’s and Burger King corrupt the traditional style of the town. It’s therefore a mystery as to why they have suddenly allowed Domino’s to negotiate their way into these streets.

What does this mean for us? Opinions vary: 3rd year Economics and IR student Chris Travis thinks that “it will break the iron grid held by local businesses.” Indeed, more choice can do no harm and the familiarity of a well-known restaurant can be comforting. The student body certainly pines for a taste of chain food: Krispy Kreme 4 U, a student run business, delivers orders of the famous glazed doughnuts all the way from Edinburgh.

Nonetheless, not everyone shares the same thoughts on the matter. Masters student James Manasseh is unmoved by the prospect of a Domino’s branch. “I don’t think we need a large corporation in this town to steal all the clientele from the local business. I’m happy with the pizza from Dervish and Empire.” On principle, he is right: a large chain would dominate the market and eventually cause businesses to close down. Besides, isn’t part of St Andrews’ charm its unequivocally antique nature, detached from the standardized monotony of other towns and cities? Tell The Stand what you think.

Imagescourtesy of  kochigallan.com and weknowmemes.com