DoRep Candidate: Tamara Stupalova

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do you feel that Director […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do you feel that Director of Representation is important to St Andrews?

The DoRep is here to make the students’ voice heard, ensuring our interests are represented within the University and at a national level. Such a role is extremely important given the current difficulties surrounding accommodation and the national policies affecting higher education. The DoRep has a positive impact on student welfare, striving for an inclusive environment for all, no matter what background you’re from, and making sure we are as progressive a University as we can be. Empowering student representatives as well as the student body is another important aspect; the DoRep’s role is key in ensuring we get the most out of our studies and time here.

What do you believe makes you especially qualified for the job?

Being so closely connected to the Union over the past years gave me a lot of insight into this role. I’ve worked with the Sabbs on accommodation issues, national campaigns and music events, I have lobbied the local government over the HMO issue, and I have made connections with students and Unions from across the country. I have always aimed to get our voice heard and have striven for a wider discussion over changes affecting us. Besides, I have so much motivation and energy to improve the students’ experience at St Andrews!

What three main principles do you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

I will put students interests and rights first, acting up on issues affecting us.

I will strive to foster academic excellence and empower students to realize their potential.

I aim to increase transparency and include students better in decision-making processes.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

I would bring down rents to an affordable level and lower the student-staff ratio.

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to pass on?

Given how much we’ve achieved over the past year, I am excited to keep the momentum going and take the Union further. Trust me to stand by you and deliver results!

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: mango chutney

Pokemon: Charmeleon – fiery and passionate