Look of the Week: Checkmate

The latest ‘it’ dress the fash-pack is lusting after is without a doubt Alexander McQueen’s McQ range puffball tartan dress. Having been spotted on several occasions on the red carpet, […]

The latest ‘it’ dress the fash-pack is lusting after is without a doubt Alexander McQueen’s McQ range puffball tartan dress. Having been spotted on several occasions on the red carpet, it’s been worn by everyone from Katherine Jenkins and Rihanna to Cheryl Cole and Emma Watson.

This simple little dress is the stars’ preferred party outfit for the holidays, and it’s easy to see why. There is something about a classic tartan that is just so festive. Think cosy tartan blankets by a warm fire, a tartan scarf keeping you toasty on a winter’s day country walk. Tartan adds a touch of warmth and comfort and, thanks to McQueen, it has been transformed this season from a typical Scottish souvenir into a key micro trend – perfect for showing off your St Andrean pride in a chic way.

A diverse range of designers filled their runways with tartan checks from Thakoon and Rag & Bone to Mulberry and Yves Saint Laurent. Tommy Hilfiger led the way with their fun Holiday campaign adorned with preppies clad in plaid, whilst Burberry’s tartans had a more sixties vibe featuring primary colours cross-hatched with black.

Whatever your preferred look, you can make tartan work for you. For the holidays try a tartan dress à la McQ and accessorise it to fit your personal style. Emma Watson looks amazing with a fitted leather jacket over her dress for a sophisticated yet edgy look, whilst Cheryl Cole and Katherine Jenkins kept it short and sweet. Tommy Hilfiger has an elegant tartan dress which is perfect for holiday drinks parties, or check out Johann Earl’s “Mind your Manor” dress for a more vintage look.

Other top tartan tips include:

• Although tartan trousers were popular on the runway, in St Andrews it is probably best to reserve that look for the KK boys. Try a skirt instead, Boden has a great selection in all lengths and colours.
  • A plaid shirt is an easy way to inject the trend and look festive. Pair a checked shirt with jeans and a long warm cardigan for a relaxed vibe. Love them or hate them stores such as Abercrombie, Hollister and Jack Wills all have wide ranges of plaid shirts. Try Tommy Hilfiger if you’re after a more polished look.
  • Still not keen on so much tartan? Make like Mulberry and try a huge cosy scarf paired with your daytime outfit. Barbour has an abundant range of tartan accessories including bags, gloves, hats and silk scarves, you’re sure to find something to complete your outfit.
  • Check out shops around town such as the Edinburgh Woollen Mill for good offers on tartan scarves in classic colours.

So go on, embrace your St Andrean status this Christmas and wrap up in a nice cosy tartan. St Andrews loves a heritage moment, we all know there’s nothing more fitting to accessorise your Barbour and Hunters with than a tartan scarf, so why not branch out this holiday season and inject some plaid into your wardrobe. Sipping on mulled wine by a roaring fire in a tartan dress… Could you be any more festive?

Photos:  © Vogue.co.uk; © Bigpicturesphoto.com; © Tommy Hilfiger 2011