KeyCard: the First St Andrews Student Discount Card

Are late-night meals at Dervish draining your wallet? Mid-winter manicures making you consider a summer job?   It’s hard to walk down Market Street without wanting a new pair of […]

Are late-night meals at Dervish draining your wallet? Mid-winter manicures making you consider a summer job?

It’s hard to walk down Market Street without wanting a new pair of shoes or a steaming plate of Indian food, but when you check your pockets, you find that buying tickets to the latest ball has left nothing but a fifty-pence coin.  Every student knows that St Andrews is a pricey place – but now there’s a solution.

KeyCard is the hottest thing to hit the University since the end of the celebrity tournament (we’ll miss you, Hugh Grant…). This little plastic card is all about unlocking St Andrews deals and steals for students, making this all-too-posh town an affordable place for everyone. The startup business, owned and operated by a group of St Andrews students, is working round-the-clock to bring excellent value to KeyCard holders.

So far, the KeyCard team has partnered with all the best local businesses to offer valuable discounts – including gems like 20% off at Dervish and 15% off at Maisha. (Time for a friends’ night out, anyone?) Other discounts include special pricing at Adamson Hair Spa and a rotating set of deals at Hepburn’s Nail Lounge. New businesses are being added all the time, so watch the Facebook page and Twitter account for the latest deals.  This year’s KeyCard is good until the end of August, 2012, so you have plenty of time to make the most of your favorite discounts.

KeyCard launches on the 5th of December, but pre-orders are already underway.  You can check out the latest news and discounts online at the KeyCard Facebook page, or click ‘Attend’ on the KeyCard launch event.  If you forget to buy yours early, stop by the KeyCard table outside the Union on the 5th.  Don’t wait too long – for a limited time only, the KeyCard is being offered at a special introductory price of £5.  

SPECIAL CONTEST: The Stand is offering one lucky reader a free KeyCard!  Email [email protected] to be entered into a special drawing for this prize.  For more opportunities to win free cards, visit and ‘like’ the KeyCard Facebook page.

Written by Ashley Pruett, understand contributor