Five things you must do this week

Heeey Guys and Dolls! The Razz Big Band presents Broadway Swings this Saturday night in Younger Hall. Playing hits from Hairspray, Cabaret, Kiss Me Kate and more, The Razz Big […]

Heeey Guys and Dolls! The Razz Big Band presents Broadway Swings this Saturday night in Younger Hall. Playing hits from Hairspray, Cabaret, Kiss Me Kate and more, The Razz Big Band have teamed up with Just So Society to bring some sparkle to your Saturday night. Tickets are available online – Week Ten of the semester is definitely calling for some Sinatra to bluesy up our lives.  

Swap your afternoon spent in the 1413 sipping weak coffee and chewing over your next essay for the Fine Food and Dining Society’s Vintage Tea Party at the Old Course Hotel. Inspired by the Great British Bake Off the Pastry Chef at the Hotel is preparing delicate pastries, finger sandwiches and delicious homemade scones. The Tea Party is on 11th December and to get your hands on a ticket, they will be sold this Thursday and Friday from 12–4pm outside the Union. Care for a cucumber sandwich anyone? 

Put your game face on: St Andrews RFC and Edinburgh University RFC clash in the Scottish Varsity Game this St Andrews Day. The Scottish Varsity predates even the Oxford vs. Cambridge match and it really is the true clash of the titans. The match kicks off in Richmond, London at the London Scottish RFC and Alesha Dixon is making a star appearance. Alesha – seriously, it’s pretty obvious who you should be cheering for. If you didn’t travel down to support the guys you can always keep up with the action on the London Scottish Football Website.

Five Freshers’ Plays for a Fiver: Our Freshers are feeling extra theatrical this year. Mermaids present 5 Freshers’ Plays – directed, produced and acted by Freshers. It’s all very FRESH. Whether you see one or all of the plays it only costs you a fiver. This year’s plays include: Medea, Boston Marriage, The Beginning, Now the Cat with Jewelled Claws and A Time for Farewells. Tickets are on sale this week outside the Union and Barron Theatre – if you miss out on these sales then tickets will be available on the door at the Barron each night. 

Now the winter winds are rolling in, STAND (Student Anti-Genocide Coalition) is treating us to an evening spent around roaring bonfires drinking warm spiced cider. Sounds magical? For only £4 you can launch a lantern from the end of the Pier on East Sands. Hot drinks are free and all the proceeds from the lantern sales go towards the STAND campaign to raise awareness of genocide in areas around the world.