Why do people grind?

I’m talking about the serious, hardcore grinding, the kind you see in Flo Rida’s videos, the kind I have witnessed in real life too often not to have been deeply […]

I’m talking about the serious, hardcore grinding, the kind you see in Flo Rida’s videos, the kind I have witnessed in real life too often not to have been deeply disturbed. It remains a mystery to me. What satisfaction lies in thrusting your clothed body onto someone else’s?

Admittedly, the attention-seeking girl is fully capable of grinding on her own; the imaginary pole provides more than enough grindable material. On occasion, this can provide ample entertainment.

My keen observation skills are, however, more captivated by pairs and teams of grinders, though I still find this phenomenon difficult to grasp.

Some girls choose to pursue their goal, which presumably is male attention, through collective efforts such as these. I’m still traumatized from my expedition to The Lizard last September; the image of two beasty-looking girls grinding together is forever burnt into my memory. Their co-ordinated routine to “get low” is a prime example of collective grinding: their too-tight black lace dresses clinging to their sweaty bodies, stumbling in their stilettos – one pushed the other out of balance whilst shouting the lyrics, causing a less-than-fortunate wardrobe malfunction.

Post-getting low (squatting) on the floor, their awkward attempts to get up were accompanied by a continuation of the overall heavy thrusting, followed by some intense ass-shaking. All the time, sultry looks à la Zoolander’s le tigre were made toward the male onlookers, who were sincerely engaged in the performance.

My feeling of revulsion has nothing to do either with the attractiveness of the grinders nor their choice of attire, rather it is related to the act of grinding itself.

Grinding can express a wide variety of emotions, sexual lust being one of them. And as much as I get this, I still feel the need to question the validity of this form of expression. In all seriousness, what kind of satisfaction is achieved through a public thrusting-show? And why is it so socially acceptable?

I may be mistaken, but I’m under the impression that grinding in the club does not necessarily have to lead to anything more. But then why would people thrust their torsos together in public if this action is not something they would do naturally in the privacy of their own rooms? How many times have you ever been grinding with someone one-on-one whilst blasting party tracks at home? You haven’t.  

So what is the true purpose of this oh-so-public display of primal, physical desire?

Be it girl on girl, boy on boy, girl on boy; I am obviously no closer to solving the great mystery of grinding. Even so, I hope by raising the issue I may encourage more reflective approaches towards the casual Tuesday night at Ma Bells.

Written by Ingrid Folgerø, standpoint writer