standCribs: the Big House

Eight big personalities, a loaf of bread a day and a shipping container full of recycling call this North Castle Street palace home away from home.     The Big […]

Eight big personalities, a loaf of bread a day and a shipping container full of recycling call this North Castle Street palace home away from home.

The Big House, as it’s affectionately known, houses one third of Saint Rap On (St Andrews’ only hip-hop radio show, Sundays 2100-2300), the women’s hockey firsts’ social sec, a thespy mermaid, the world’s greatest Harry Potter fan (this is his Weasley Burrow), and four others..

Despite having to coordinate eight different timetables, the Big House manage to eat together almost every night. Chris (a qualified chef) and Amanda (chickwich expert) take on the majority of the kitchen work, although the rest of the Weasleys are roped in to do the washing up. We’ve been told Amanda has been known to leave gravy lying around for days – ditzy!

Spontaneous games of ‘Ring of Fire’ have been known to break out at a moments notice. The house rules are on their very large fridge along with a ‘Chunder Tab’. Surprisingly, only two of the seven names on the Chunder Tab actually live in the house.

Eight people means eight times as many housemate stories. StandCribs’ favourites are; ‘qualified chef’ Chris burning his hand on the hob when cooking pasta; philosophy lover Laurence getting ‘confused as to what I am’ when he’s drunk; and a certain someone getting arrested for weeing on the street in Dundee.

What are our house rules for living in a palace like this? standCribs thinks one is enough: make the most of it! And don’t worry about having to do a little extra washing up once in a while.