Protest in the Park

On Tuesday 11th of October a 36 hour tent occupation took place within the Principal’s own garden. Our stand reporters went to find out if the local Boy Scouts had […]

On Tuesday 11th of October a 36 hour tent occupation took place within the Principal’s own garden. Our stand reporters went to find out if the local Boy Scouts had got lost or there was more to it.

If you passed the Principal’s house earlier last week, you would have seen St Andrews’ version of a tent city (err… village).

The sit-in was not assembled by any society but was the brain child of a small group of students including Chole Hill and James Hopkins, who are upset about St Andrews’ new £36,000 price tag. The occupation lasted 36 hours, for obvious reasons, and was situated within the Principal’s own garden. The occupation was reported to have had 20 students, but the stand reporter could only see four or five demonstrators.

The Stand was on the scene but was forced by University staff to conduct interviews off the premises. Later in the day, however, our photographers were allowed inside the occupied flower bed.

Our interview went something like this:

Has the University accommodated your occupation?
“Yes, the University has allowed us to demonstrate but has put barriers up so that other students cannot enter.”

Are there any societies involved with this protest?

“No, one of the common misconceptions about our occupation is that we are somehow associated with Left Soc. This is not the case. We are students who feel that the rise in RUK fees is unjustified and we have organized this protest by ourselves.”

Do you feel that the University is listening to your grievances?

“No, one of the reasons that we are holding this occupation is because the university has not listened. We believe that the university intentionally kept students out of the process by holding meetings over the summer and not accommodating the Student Union in their talks.”

What will happen if these fees are not removed?
“There will be a drop in applications. In fact, we have already seen a decrease this year. This only entrenches elitism in our university.”

Do you see an alternative to raising fees?
“It’s not an alternative that we want. We want openness with the University and an explanation as to why fees were raised higher than the proportional loss they received from the government. We have tried every official means to communicate with the University – this occupation is one more attempt to make them listen. We want, at the very least, a comprehensive plan of benefits. We want to know why we’re raising fees by 500% and accommodation cost overall, while at the same time we’re still losing staff.”  

On Thursday the 13th of October, as tent cities all over the world were being erected in protest against Wall Street excess, St Andrews’ own little tent village was being taken down.