Alex Budman: Scrumptious St Andrews!

It might be the cold air, the lack of sunlight, or the salty smell of the sea, but there is something about St Andrews that makes you hungry. Whether it […]

It might be the cold air, the lack of sunlight, or the salty smell of the sea, but there is something about St Andrews that makes you hungry. Whether it be a dinner party, a casual coffee with a friend, or a glorified after-party at Empire, each day seems to revolve around food and drink (maybe with a class on the side).

With all of these hungry (and thirsty) students roaming around, it is not outrageous to find yourself cooking for a group of ten or more. If ET were to come to St Andrews, he would be shocked to see the domestic skill of all these kids – it’s like a weird Home-Ec experiment.

As students come from all over the world, we each bring our own heritage, culture and stories back to this weird and wonderful town. Every recipe comes with associations: it may be your Mum’s best apple pie, the pad Thai that you mastered on your ‘gap yah’, or an ambitious attempt to try something new. Each recipe tells a story, and dishing it out to friends is a great way to share that.

Come join Scrumptious St Andrews in exploring the kitchens of St Andreans like yourself. Have a recipe you want to share? You don’t have to be Nigella Lawson – although if you are as seductive in your whip cream tasting as she is, I’m sure no one would mind. Come one, come all. Show us your recipes and tell us your story!

In the words of a Thanksgiving turkey embroidered onto my charity shop pillow:

Gobble gobble till you wobble wobble

Click here to see my first video!