Christmas is saved: Cancelled Southampton Christmas market is back on and opens next week

It opens next Thursday!

Southampton’s Christmas market which was cancelled by the original organisers has been saved at the eleventh hour and will open next week.

Opening next Thursday in Above Bar Street, the market will have numerous stalls and shops to get you in the Christmas mood as well as live music, Christmas themed bars, food stalls and rides.

The news comes after last month’s sudden announcement the usual organisers had cancelled the event without giving any reason publicly.

The Southampton council leader said since the “sudden and disappointing news” last month, the council had been doing everything possible to “save Christmas”.

S&D Leisure will instead take the place as the new vendors and promise to add a “extra sparkle to Southampton”.

Santa’s flying sleigh will not be a part of the festivities but Santa will be “walking around the Christmas market,” S&D Leisure confirmed.

Alongside the Christmas market, you can also go ice skating at the Westquay shopping centre and there will be more live entertainment in Guildhall Square.

Southampton’s Christmas market will be open from Thursday 17th November until Saturday 24th December.

Do you want to write articles like this? Do you want to uncover the biggest stories on campus? The Soton Tab is looking for new writers and we want you! To find out about how to join the team, DM us on Instagram @sotontab