Applications for The Soton Tab’s editorial team are now OPEN

We’re recruiting for Editor in Chief, News Editor, Features Editor and Social Media / TikTok Editor

The Soton Tab is back and we are looking to recruit a new editorial team made up of Southampton Uni students to run The Soton Tab this year.

The positions available are Editor in Chief, News Editor, Features Editor and Social Media Editor. We welcome applications from all students, the only requirement is that you are a student at University of Southampton.

We’re particularly encouraging students from minority backgrounds to apply. If you feel like journalism isn’t typically accessible for people from your background, please do apply. You’ll have training from experienced editors to get you up and running.

The deadline for applications is 23:59, Friday 28th October. 

Experience with journalism may help your application, but even if you’ve never written for The Tab, now is a great time to get involved and take on something new. Plus, you get to hear all of Soton’s gossip first. A passion and enthusiasm for writing and journalism, breaking crucial news stories and writing fun features is important for the role but being able to work in a team is even more vital.

Editor in Chief

As Editor in Chief, you’ll oversee all articles The Soton Tab publishes and be responsible for leading the team on all the latest news and stories on campus. You will be the team’s main point of contact with The Tab HQ.

You will be responsible for hosting the team meeting each week and be on top of who’s doing what. You will be working alongside the section editors to motivate and support writers to maintain a regular schedule of articles being published.

You’ll be writing news and features pieces, whilst also working with the section editors to come up with a weekly pitch ideas list to send out to your writers team for them to claim; then editing and publishing articles that your team of writers have submitted to you.

Your job as Editor in Chief is to keep The Soton Tab on top of all the latest news, and ensure all of the team are motivated and working on something new so that The Soton Tab is as good as it can be. The role is really rewarding and a great opportunity to get involved in leading a team.

The right person for this role is someone who is personable, friendly, approachable and has good leadership skills as you will spend a lot of time communicating and motivating not only your editorial team but your team of writers. These skills are also invaluable for recruiting new writers.

News Editor

The Soton Tab is always looking out for the next big story, as News Editor your biggest responsibility is reporting on the latest scoops from Southampton. You’ll need to have an eye for a good story, always have an ear out for the latest news, controversies and events, and have a passion to report on scoops before anyone else. It’s key to keep up-to-date on uni news and city-wide news, from protests on campus to major announcements from the university.

You will also support the Editor in Chief in editing articles and writing every week, coming up with pitches and article commissions and supporting writers. The roles of section editors are not black and white and you may also be expected to regularly write and edit features articles, not just news.

You’ll be working on stories just like these:

Freshers living in hotels after burst pipe ‘floods’ Unite Students accommodation

Mayflower FC filmed chanting ‘one naked n****r on the bus’ during social

Southampton is officially 12th best university in UK, according to new World Rankings

Soton third years invited Tariq Manzils to pres and he actually went

Features Editor

This role is for anyone who wants to take charge on The Soton Tab’s great feature pieces. You’ll be responsible for writing and editing the iconic feature pieces for the team that make The Soton Tab as great as it is.

You will be working on pieces that cover current opinions, fun guides and witty commentary on campus life, you will also oversee the quizzes, opinion pieces, guides and other fun stories that we write. Rating outfits on campus, or arguing which Southampton club is better – as Features Editor you’ll have a keen interest in everything relevant and relatable to Soton students.

You will also support the Editor in Chief in editing articles and writing every week, coming up with pitches and article commissions and supporting writers. The roles of section editors are not black and white and you may also be expected to regularly write and edit news articles, not just features.

What percentage Portswood are you? Take this quiz and find out

We spent the evening with Tariq and found out absolutely everything there is to know about Manzil’s

Which is the definitive best seat in Hartley library? An investigation

As a 2020 grad, I waited two years for my graduation ceremony – and it was a car crash

Social Media Editor

Your job will be to manage The Soton Tab’s ever growing social media channels across Instagram, Facebook and TikTok.

If you’ve got a great talent for creating your own memes that are relevant to Soton and student lifestyle, want to promote a brand image or just love scrolling all day, this one’s for you. Your responsibilities will include advertising our articles, posting regular daily content on our stories, sharing memes, growing our audience and keeping our followers engaged. You should also be comfortable being in front of the camera to create innovative content for our TikTok page.

You’ll also support the editorial team in keeping an eye out for Soton related content and watching for the latest news and campus gossip. This role does not include editing articles.

Think you’ve got what it takes?

If you’re interested in any of our roles and would like to apply, fill out your application here or on the Google form below.

The application deadline is 23:59 on Friday 28th October, with successful applicants to be informed in early November.