The Soton Tab is looking for new writers and we want you!

We’re hosting an open meeting on Thursday 23rd March at 4pm over Zoom

Looking to meet new people, publish articles that reach thousands of students and be the first to know all the gossip at Southampton? The Soton Tab is back and we are looking for new writers, meme-makers, TikTok creators and social media experts to join our team.

The Tab is the the biggest UK student news site with teams at over 30 different universities. We help break the biggest student stories across the country as well as creating fun and entertaining online content.

The Soton Tab is written by Southampton Uni students, for Southampton Uni students. You can find out all about The Soton Tab and how to join at our first open meeting over Zoom on Thursday 23rd March at 4pm. You can join the meeting here or DM us on Instagram to find out more.

Whether you are an aspiring journalist, hilarious writer, meme-maker or live and breathe TikTok, anyone and everyone is welcome to come along and meet our Assistant Editor from The Tab HQ. And the best bit is: you don’t need any experience.

First of all, what actually is The Tab?

The Tab is a student news site across over 30 UK universities, with over 10 million monthly readers. Writing for The Soton Tab, we’ll share your stories to our  Facebook and Instagram pages where we have over 25,000 combined followers.

We’re passionate about writing stories for students that they actually care about in a style they actually enjoy reading. There is no limit to the range of stories we cover, we post a bunch of fun features whilst always looking for the next big scoop.

If your stories are so good we think students across the UK should see them, they’ll get crossposted on all our Tab pages, exposing them to a much wider audience.

We break the biggest student stories in Southampton. Whether that was reporting on freshers having to live in hotels after their halls got flooded or when football players from Mayflower Hall were caught chanting racial slurs on the bus during a social.

We also do fun features, like when we spent the evening with Tariq and found out absolutely everything there is to know about Manzil’s. Or writing a very serious investigation into the definitively best seat in the Hartley library.

We are the voice of students and we will never shy away from holding the university to account. The car crash graduation ceremony at St Mary’s last summer was of course no exception.

Why The Tab?

Why should you write for us? Modern news media is moving away from print, and writing for us means your stories will reach thousands of readers.

The Soton Tab is a great way to get involved in a range of opportunities. Absolutely no experience is needed – we’ll train you up! There’s no commitment, and you can write as much or as little as you want around your uni studies and deadlines.

The team works with an Assistant Editor who is a professional journalist based at The Tab HQ in London. They provide training in the basics of reporting, and quality advice on how to make your writing stand out that you won’t get anywhere else; to help you develop as journalists and produce the best digital content you can.

The Tab alumni frequently go on to work for famous publications all over the world, including VICE, The Times, and Vogue. Former Tab student writers have go on to jobs at The Telegraph, The Sun, Daily Express, The Spectator and Cosmopolitan.

If you’re looking to get into media, look no further for great experience that leads to fantastic opportunities. Basically, if you want to get your work into the nationals and even go on to work for one, write for The Soton Tab.

Not looking for a career in media? Writing for The Tab offers experience and skills in a range of areas, no matter what you want to do.

How can I get involved?

We are having an open meeting on Thursday 23rd March at 4pm via Zoom. DM us on Instagram to find out more.

We’re particularly encouraging students from minority backgrounds to sign up. If you feel like journalism isn’t typically accessible for people from your background, please do get in touch via Facebook or Instagram.

No experience is needed and there isn’t even an application process, just get drop us a message if you’re interested and we’ll get you writing. You’ll have guidance from experienced editors to get you up and running, whether news, features, video or social media is your thing.

Follow The Soton Tab on Instagram and like us on Facebook for all the latest Southampton student news, memes, and guides.