Confirmed: Southampton Uni staff are going on strike for three days this month

The UCU say strikes could continue in the new year as well as a potential marking boycott

Southampton University staff will go on strike for three days at the end of this month as UCU members continue to campaign for improved pay, working conditions and pensions.

Described by the UCU as “the biggest strike to hit UK universities ever”, Southampton staff will walk out and join the picket line as part of a national movement which will see 70,000 staff across 150 UK unis strike.

The strikes will take place on Thursday 24th November and Friday 25th November as well as the following week on Wednesday 30th November.

The UCU say across the UK it will impact 2.5 million students but maintained, “disruption can be avoided if employers act fast and make improved offers. If they don’t, strike action will escalate in the new year alongside a marking and assessment boycott”.

Dr Jo Grady, the UCU general secretary, said: “Campuses across the UK are about to experience strike action on a scale never seen before. Seventy thousand staff will walk out and make clear they refuse to accept falling pay, cuts to pensions and insecure employment.

“This is not a dispute about affordability – it is about choices. Vice-chancellors are choosing to pay themselves hundreds of thousands of pounds whilst forcing our members on to low paid and insecure contracts that leave some using food banks. They choose to hold billions in surpluses whilst slashing staff pensions.

“If university vice-chancellors don’t get serious, our message is simple – this bout of strike action will be just the beginning.”

Do you want to write articles like this? Do you want to uncover the biggest stories on campus? The Soton Tab is looking for new writers and we want you! To find out about how to join the team, DM us on Instagram @sotontab