Southampton’s best independent restaurants that need your support more than ever

Rediscover your locals and help get them back on their feet

Southampton has been placed into Tier 2 after the second lockdown, this means that Southampton’s eateries have opened their doors once again. With a difficult year for businesses drawing to a close, we can all do our bit in supporting Southampton’s fantastic array of independent restaurants. Enjoy the following food spots and help rebuild the damage caused by Covid-19.

Here are some of the best independent restaurants in Southampton:

Lakaz Maman

First up, Mauritian street-food restaurant Lakaz Maman offers Bedford Place a glimpse of tropical sunshine. The relaxed decor allows all the focus to fall on perfectly curated Mauritian flavors, which add a modern twist on family-friendly dishes.

From traditional Creole curries, island-style wraps, and burgers to ‘magic’ rice bowls. To add to the homely feel, Lakaz also offers BYO bottle corkage. And if that’s not enough to convince you, Lakaz Maman is proudly owned by the 2012 Masterchef winner, Shelina Permalloo. If it’s good enough for John and Gregg, it’s good enough for me.

Via Instagram @lakazmaman

Halliday’s Tea Room

Continuing down Bedford Place, Halliday’s Tearooms serves amazing breakfasts, lunches and afternoon teas from the cutest cosy corner of Southampton, from Wednesday to Sunday. Expect classic cafe choices like sandwiches and freshly made cakes, as well as a variety of brunch showstoppers. The pancakes with syrup, berries and bacon are incredible.

All portions are extremely generous, and the place is decorated with flowers, bunting and pastel colours. Pop in, even just for a coffee, but bear in mind Halliday’s operate on a first come first serve basis – no bookings.

La Baronia

This one’s a student favourite. If you haven’t checked out La Baronia yet, you’re missing out on the best Mexican cuisine in Southampton. If it’s a social, or a date night, La Baronia offers a great atmosphere, and not the mention mind-blowing Pina Coladas (and there’s often deals on drinks too!).

The chefs have perfected authentic enchiladas, fajitas, chilli con carne, quesadillas and much more. Veggies and vegans are spoiled with a meat-free alternative to almost every dish. La Baronia has plans to welcome back live musicians on selected nights, so make sure you stop by and grab a burrito.

Bacaro

Venture down to Ocean Village to find Bacaro, a stylish Italian restaurant that focuses on small plates and amazing wines. Monday-Saturday offers a selection of freshly made sharing plates that showcase the finest meat, fish and pizzettes. On Sundays, beef, lamb, chicken and nut roasts are served all day long.

My favourite part of Bacaro’s roast is the two-person platter of all the possible trimmings you can think of. Service is always five-star. To abide by social distancing, Bacaro has also installed cosy outdoor sheds that accommodate four people – these even have inbuilt speakers and aux cords at the ready! This one’s a little pricier but worth every penny of that student loan.

Via Instagram @bacarosouthampton

Popsi’s

No list of favorites would be complete without a top tier pizzeria. Popsi’s is a gem of a restaurant that serves up freshly made pizzas, Italian style. This means fresh ingredients imported from Riga and Naples, handcrafted and cooked in a handmade stone oven. Popsi’s flaunts a choice of toppings for everyone, from veggie to meat-loving diners. If you have room, try one of their inventive desserts –  the ‘churro nuggets’ are covered in cinnamon, sugar and Nutella. Domino’s, who?

Porter’s Wine and Charcuterie

Porter’s is a totally unique dining experience that is centered around a beautifully diverse wine list and impressive sharing plates offering up the UK’s finest meats and cheeses.  Porter’s is an extremely social eatery and is located in Oxford Street where you can expect to find a number of amazing bars nearby.

Via Instagram @porters.southampton

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Things in our uni houses that just make sense: Soton edition

Soton students: Here’s how you can vote to get a partial refund of halls fees

Here are 10 vegan restaurants in Soton you need to try right now