Here are 10 vegan restaurants in Soton you need to try right now

Your vegan friend never has to go hungry again.

2020 has not been the year for a lot of things, but one positive we can take from it is the new banging vegan additions to menus across Southampton. Despite popular belief that vegans can only eat a bowl of chips and some salad when out at a restaurant, these 10 Soton restaurants ensure that the plant-based friend never has to go hungry again. So why not start planning all those places you want to hit as soon as lockdown is over?

Café Thrive

Café Thrive is a student’s dream – cheap and cheerful. Everything on the menu is 100 per cent vegan, and they have everything from fried ‘chicken’ to Oreo milkshakes. If you’re new to veganism and want to try different meat alternatives, or just someone who is trying to cut down on their meat consumption, Thrive is a great place to try a load of different vegan substitutes.

Price: 4/5

Insta-worthy rating: 5/5

7Bone

If there is one vegan meal I could eat every day, it would be the 7Bone Giant Haystacks burger with their Dirty Lies fries. How can you not want to try a burger with hash browns in it? The good news is you don’t need to wait for lockdown to be over to try it, 7Bone is offering a takeaway service throughout lockdown from their Portswood restaurant.

Price: 3/5 – get a red basket deal to get the most for your money!

Insta-worthy rating: 3/5

The Black Phoenix

Not only does The Black Phoenix pub serve incredible vegan food, but also ridiculously cheap cocktails. Their vegan mozzarella sticks are to die for, and they have an amazing variety of burgers. Bombs are two for a fiver and a pint cocktail will only set you back £4.50, making it the perfect dinner and pre-drinks spot for your post-lockdown nights out.

Price: 5/5

Insta-worthy rating: 4/5

Biff’s Pizza and Wings

Biff’s is the self-confessed “world’s most banging plant-based pizza, legendary loaded fries and award-winning wingz”, and was even featured on Sunday Brunch. Available on Deliveroo, Biff’s is the perfect lockdown pick-me-up for vegans with a big appetite. At only £5.95 for award-winning wings, it would be rude not to.

Price: 4/5

Insta-worthy rating: 3/5

Brewhouse & Kitchen

All vegans will know the pain of not being able to experience a decent Sunday roast. But fear no more, because Brewhouse & Kitchen has got you covered. Their butternut squash filo pastry goes perfectly with potatoes and gravy, and you can even get a vegan chicken salad or Beyond burger if a roast isn’t your thing. The good news is, you can still get takeaway during lockdown, and it’s walking distance from Highfield Campus.

Price: 3/5

Insta-worthy rating: 4/5

Ed’s Easy Diner

An American-style diner is probably the last place that comes to mind when you think of vegan-friendly restaurants, but the plant-based chicken burger at Ed’s is absolutely incredible. At only £7.99, this burger is a must-try.

Price: 5/5

Insta-worthy rating: 4/5

Trago Lounge

A Soton student fave, Trago will never let you down. With everything from vegan tapas to burgers, hot dogs and even vegan brunch, Trago is the perfect option for every meal and occasion. If you haven’t spent more than 50 per cent of your weekends at uni in Trago, you’re doing it wrong.

Price: 4/5

Insta-worthy rating: 4/5

Domino’s

One of the best new vegan options of the year is undoubtedly Domino’s vegan pizzas. Due to lockdown they’re only offering a margarita and veggie supreme at the moment, but both are absolutely insane. The previous meal of plain chips after a night out is over, and Domino’s are here to change the game.

Price: 3/5

Insta-worthy rating: 2/5

Noodle8

Noodle8 is the perfect option for Chinese-loving vegans that found it hard to let go of duck pancakes. Their mock-duck is perfect with a side of edamame or tofu bites or vegan fried rice, with plenty of other options for your meat-eating friends.

Price: 4/5

Insta-worthy rating: 5/5

Mango Thai Tapas

Mango Thai Tapas is definitely one of Southampton’s boujier options when it comes to eating out, but it is worth every penny. Their vegan menu is extensive, with loads of sides, curries and stir-fries. Plus, their cocktails are some of the best in Southampton. They have three different locations in Southampton offering takeaway throughout lockdown, so why not treat yourself after long days of essay writing.

Price: 3/5

Insta-worthy rating: 5/5