Davina McCall says her daughter caught Covid after just a week at Newcastle Uni

The TV presenter claims her daughter caught it because students aren’t socially distancing

coronavirus covid-19 Davina mccall newcastle newcastle university

Davina McCall has said that her daughter Holly, 18, tested positive for coronavirus after just a week of being a fresher at Newcastle University this year, claiming it was due to students failing to socially distance.

Speaking on Making the Cut, the podcast she hosts with boyfriend Michael Douglas, McCall explained the irony of her “very positive” daughter testing positive for Covid-19.

“She went to Newcastle University and was there a week and got Covid,” McCall stated.

“Can you imagine an influx of 50,000 students from all over the country and none of them are social distancing?” she alleged.

Nearly 2000 students have tested positive at Newcastle Uni since the middle of September, with the majority of cases diagnosed in the first week of October. And the city of Newcastle at large, at the start of September, had a high case rate of 533 per 100,000; in comparison to the average of 169 per 100,000 for England as a whole.

Douglas made sense of the lack of social distancing, and remarked that students would obviously “want a song and a touch and a feel and a stroke.”

“That’s what university is for, for Goodness sake,” he added, “You don’t learn anything there. That’s a great relief that she’s had it, and it’s done and dusted.” McCall agreed with Douglas on the relief she felt, saying: “I do feel like that.”

Davina has appeared in TikToks with her daughter Holly before and the two have a close relationship. Holly has over 27,000 followers on the app.

Earlier this year, Davina McCall discussed whether or not students should go back to the university during the pandemic.

Davina insisted that daughter Holly would be going since the following year would be extra competitive.