A march against homophobic violence is happening in Liverpool today

There have been a number of homophobic attacks in the city recently

After several unprovoked homophobic attacks on members of Liverpool’s LGBTQ+ community in recent weeks, a peaceful gathering and march is scheduled to take place today, Tuesday 22nd June at 1pm on Church Street.

In a post on Instagram, Naya Thorn urges people to join the march.

“Join us for a peaceful gathering and March in the name of the rising homophobic attacks on our community in Liverpool.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQQyayhJ4Up/?utm_medium=copy_link

The meet up will take place on Lord Street by McDonalds and HSBC at 1pm. The event will be socially distanced, and attendees are asked to wear masks, to bring “signs, flags, the full works” and to “travel in groups for safety”.

“The march will take place from the meeting point [Lord Street] and reach across Church Street post the St John’s and Radio City, past Williamson Square, back to Whitechapel and finishing on Victoria Street so we are in our safe space.”

“When the March has ended please leave in groups and stay together we don’t want this peaceful gathering to be the reason another one of us get hurt.”

“Please try to stick to the covid guidelines as if anything is breached we will be fined. Other than that thank you all for coming together and let’s enjoy ourselves.”

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story you can contact Switchboard, the LGBTQ+ helpline, on 0300 330 0630 or visit their website. You can also find help through The Mix.

The Liverpool Guild of Students has set up a list of charities and organisations that offer a range of support for LGBTQ+ people, which you can access here.