Crowds gather in Liverpool City Centre to protest new crime bill

Demonstrators were seen outside Lime Street Station and on Church Street

Crowds were seen marching through Liverpool City Centre yesterday protesting against the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill.

The bill, if passed, would give police officers more control to restrict protests which include controlling start and finish times and noise limits.

Individuals taking part in demonstrations who are not complying with the bill could face a £2,500 fine.

Demonstrations against the bill were also spotted in Manchester and London.

Liverpool Echo confirms a spokeswoman for Merseyside Police said: “We have arrested two people and issued 7 Covid Fixed Penalty Notices following a group of people gathering in Liverpool City Centre to demonstrate against the Police, Crime, Courts and Sentencing Bill today, Saturday 20 March.

“We would like to thank the overwhelming majority of people in Merseyside who continue to abide by the Covid-19 rules and avoid large gatherings.”

Demonstrators were seen marching down Church Street chanting “kill the bill” and holding anti-bill placards, such as “if protests worked, they’d make it illegal.”

Police officers followed the demonstrators whilst abiding by social distancing guidelines.