One arrest and over 40 fines issued at Sefton Park St Patrick’s Day gatherings

Merseyside Police said they will not ‘tolerate irresponsible individuals’

Merseyside Police has confirmed 43 fines were issued and one arrest was made after yesterday’s large gathering in Sefton Park for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.

The police began dispersing crowds after receiving calls concerned about a gathering of large people mixing outside their households.

The 43 fixed penalty notices were issued due to individuals breaking the current rule of a maximum of two households allowed to meet outside, and the arrest was for drunk and disorderly behaviour.

Superintendent Mark Wiggins said: “Our officers responded quickly to disperse a large group that had gathered at Sefton Park this afternoon.

“Those who chose not to leave when instructed to do so were given fixed penalty notices.

“I would like to thank the people living in the local community and those who were attempting to use in the park in a safe and sensible manner with their families for their patience while this matter was dealt with.

“Unfortunately there are people who believe the rules that the rest of us abide by are not meant for them. But we are here to protect our communities and will not tolerate when people choose to ignore the rules and put others at risk.

“Contrary to what some selfish people believe we are still in a national lockdown and currently people are only permitted to mix outdoors with one other person outside their household or support bubble.

“I would like to thank all those people who continue to abide by the rules in order to protect themselves and other people and would strongly urge anyone planning to meet in multiple households, either inside or outside, to consider the consequences of their actions and not put themselves at risk of receiving a substantial fine.”