Liverpool Pride has been cancelled for the second year in a row

The event will take place online instead

Liverpool City Region (LCR) Pride Foundation announced today that Pride in Liverpool will not take place in July 2021, marking the cancellation of Liverpool Pride for the second consecutive time.

This is due to concerns around mass public gatherings and the risk of Covid-19 transmission.

Organisers have reportedly said that the decision to cancel has “not been taken lightly” and that the organisers have “worked tirelessly” considering other options.

The chair of the LCR Pride Foundation Board of Directors, Lewis Collins, told Liverpool Echo: “Our decision to cancel Pride in Liverpool and March with Pride for 2021 has not been taken lightly.

“The organisation’s team and board have worked tirelessly with Liverpool City Council and other partners to explore all possibilities, but despite these efforts we have not found an option that would allow us to confidently proceed and deliver an event that would guarantee the safety, health and enjoyment of the people who attend each year, and the suppliers, businesses and partners that support the event.

“The health, safety and wellbeing of all involved with and attending the event is absolutely paramount.

“The ongoing uncertainty around Covid-19 restrictions and the limitations we face in terms of implementing Covid- 19 security measures at a free-to-access event attracting 50,000 people, has made it clear that we will not be able to deliver Pride in Liverpool or March with Pride safely and effectively in 2021.

“We understand how important Pride in Liverpool is in bringing our communities together and realise the disappointment this announcement will cause.”

The LCR Pride Foundation announced in lieu of the event, there will be a digital opportunity to celebrate Pride nationally.

Lewis Collins said: “As always, we will shortly be announcing our annual theme and digital programme to ensure we can still celebrate Pride across the region and provide support and visibility to the city region’s LGBT+ community.

“We will of course continue to monitor the situation and explore smaller region-wide events, while also looking to our 2022 celebrations and preparing for what we are sure will be an incredible return for Pride in Liverpool.”