Meet the candidates running in Lincoln SU’s Student Leader Elections 2022

Voting closes on Friday!

The time of year to vote in your Student Leaders has begun once again. Your Instagram feeds are likely filled with colourful posts as to why you should vote for different candidates, but would you really have it any other way? The elections are slightly different this year with Student Leaders and Volunteer Officer elections taking place on separate weeks.

Voting is now open to vote in your future Student Leaders and will close at 2 pm on Friday. Do you want to know more about the candidates running in this year’s elections and given the chance what would they would change about Lincoln? Well, look no further!

VP Activities

Finley Cannon (he/him)

‘Vote Fin, for access to experts and wider opportunities.’

Why are you running in this year’s Student Leader elections?

I want to take the next big step on my development at the University of Lincoln. Activities have provided me with the opportunity to meet so many people and have experiences I would never have had without joining.

I want to be able to create these opportunities for more students and help them to have the best possible time at the university, which I believe sports and societies are a massive part of.

They say you meet your friends for life at university. This might be cliche, but for me this is certainly true and being a member of the hockey society has been a massive part of this.

What difference will you make on campus if elected?

I want to create more opportunities for people to participate in sports and societies and help people to find the activity that suits them, whether they have been participating all their life or they are completely new.

I want to work with the university and Students’ Union as well as the wider community to find spaces where people can do their chosen activity in comfort. From table-top to football, med-soc to cheerleading, everyone deserves to be able to have the space to partake.

If you could change one thing about Lincoln what would it be?

Creating state of the art sports facilities that can be utilised by all students and the wider community in Lincoln, helping to bring together the students and residents of Lincoln, improving the relationship and positively impacting the opinion some residents have about the university.

How would you describe yourself in three words?

Determined, outgoing, lightweight.

Louis Williams (he/him)

‘Vote Louis #1 VPA! To improve accessibility, inclusivity, community and long-term development’

I am running in the election as I would like to be able to shape activities offered to allow and encourage as many people as possible to participate and compete.

I would like to make the activities network as accessible and inclusive as possible. For example, we currently run a ‘Feel Good’ sports programme but I would like to implement weekly or fortnightly sessions, dependent on demand, that features parasport to expand the number of students who can participate.

I would also implement a student news page on the SU website so that our activities can expand their reach and increase awareness of what they do. Additionally, improving relationships between our university facility managers, course leaders and our activities is a key point for me as this is required for it to smooth out the process of running activities for the committees that run them.

I would like to see the relationship between our students and the local population improve, to do this next year I would like to work with local non-profits and community events to get more students and activities involved.

Strategic, positive, proud.

VP Campaigns and Environment

Nat Kirchin (she/her)

‘Re-elect Nat #1 VP Campaigns & Environment for a greener and more inclusive Lincoln’

I am the current VPCE at the Students’ Union and I have been lucky to do a lot of work around sustainability and inclusivity during the past eight months but I feel as though I have only scratched the surface of what I can do. I am running again to continue to provide a greener and more inclusive Lincoln.

In short, the difference I want to make is to make Lincoln greener and more inclusive. Whether that is through a sustainability project fund that gives students access to grants to develop projects that promote sustainability and a greener or through making sport accessible to everyone regardless of gender, sexuality or disability.

It would be to make it more inclusive. Yes – that’s very broad, but that is the goal. Whether it’s making it more accessible to everyone with physical and hidden disabilities to making living sustainably an easy choice regardless of where you live and how much money you have or making sure there are facilities for everyone.

Lincoln is home to everyone. Everyone deserves to feel included and cared about.

Passionate. Perfectionist. Supportive.

VP Education

Talia Adams (she/her)

‘Re-elect T #1 VPE’

I have loved being Lincoln SU’s VP Education and helping to make the student experience the best it can be! Everything from supporting 500 academic reps, helping out academic societies and sitting on university committees to make sure student voices are heard is great to be involved with.

However, a year is not long enough as I want to make even more positive changes hence why I am asking students to vote T #1 VPE once again.

My first aim this year that will positively impact campus is to ensure an excellent educational experience inside and outside the curriculum to ensure students get the best all-round experience post covid. This includes ensuing face to face teaching and continued use of digital mechanisms such as lecture recordings. I plan to continue to ensure personal tutoring supports students with their wellbeing too.

My second aim is to embed a more inclusive student experience that focuses on supporting minority student groups such as postgraduates, international students and distant learners. My third aim is to support academic reps and academic societies more.

I would like to see continued developments to student safety in Lincoln.

Approachable, driven, and reliable.

Pelumi Shonde (he/him)

‘Vote Pelumi Shonde for VP Education. Your vote is your voice. Use it for a better future.’

I believe I can make positive changes to the students and the university as a whole.

In general, I want to ensure every students’ academic experience is the minimum stress and every academic issue is dealt with effectively.

It will definitely be the transportation system.

Funny, blunt, and smart.

VP International

Vaibhav Jain (he/him/his)

‘Homie away from home’

My motivation for running for the position of VP International is to support international students, address their issues, and create a welcoming environment for them. I would arrange for college tours to help them feel at home away from home.

As I am a blogger I have already been approached by students, and I enjoy assisting them. If I am appointed I will be approached by further individuals whom I would gladly support. I hope to assist international students in having a positive university experience and in making new friends by organising various meetups and parties in collaboration with the ISA team and other team members. Any issue faced by international students along with EU students would be discussed during meetings.

I will make sure that every international student is being heard and their issues are resolved, as well as in any way they need support from us we will try out best to help out.

Just more adaptability and inclusivity for international students.

Here for you.

Rita Ugi (she/her)

‘No student would be left behind’

I am running for the role of a student leader this year because my journey as a student in Lincoln has taught me a lot and exposed me to memorable experiences. I have had the privilege of volunteering as the social secretary of the international student association, which brought me in contact with international students in listening and supporting with issues that affect their journey at the university.

I want to continue to give this opportunity to both home and international students, to give them the best student experience possible.

I will tirelessly work towards supporting and improving intercultural activities among international and home students.

I wouldn’t change a thing about Lincoln. Look at this city, it is beautiful but rather I will contribute and improve into what Lincoln is right now, making it one of the best places to live in the UK.

One thing I would say we need is designated cycling lanes, especially on the high street.

Fun, positive, and reliable.

Patrick Haze Turaray Barco (he/him)

‘Vote PB for VP!’

I am running to be your next VP International because my experience from being the LIBS Officer has helped me make positive changes and represent our community, where I have been grounded, which means that I have realised that I can extend my role by going further and this is through running for the VPI position.

I am ready to take on the challenge and be the change!

The difference I can make is that I will be a grounded student leader as this will enable me to see the issues from a student’s perspective.

This would be how Lincoln would appreciate other cultures and showcase them, where the Lincoln community will be exposed to the importance of cultures and their benefits of it.

Committed, friendly, and approachable.

Opeyemi Olorunleke (he/him/his)

‘Effective representation’

As an international student, I can relate to the struggles of fellow international students. My simple desire is to enhance the international student experience.

I will work closely with the Students’ Union team to ensure international students don’t feel ostracised.

Nothing, I believe it is perfect. The foundation laid by the leadership of the city is great, however, I believe we need to work on improving the edge cases.

Honest, humble, and approachable.

VP Wellbeing and Community

Ethan Day (he/him)

‘Vote Ethan #1 for better security, safety and sexual health!’

I am running to be the next VPCW as I want to make real change here on campus! The provision of mental and sexual health services on campus has real room for improvement so I want to work with local partners to prioritise the health and wellbeing of Lincoln students.

I would lobby the university and the council for better CCTV and streetlights and I would also bring back the RAG officer to support students and societies with their fundraising efforts.

I would move the Brayford and the train track so you didn’t have to walk across so many bridges to get to 9am lectures.

Thoughtful, experienced, and dedicated.

Joanne Copson (they/she)

‘For equity, inclusion, and accessibility vote Jo Copson for VPWC!’

I am running in this year’s elections to improve accessibility and inclusion on campus. I have represented disabled students on campus for the past two years and I believe that by making more changes, campus will become a better place for everyone. I want to support and represent all student voices both on and off-campus.

I will introduce free STI testing on campus, introduce wider education resources about social issues, and improve the accessibility and advertising of volunteering opportunities on campus. I want campus to be a safe and inclusive place for everyone. We are a strong community at Lincoln and everyone should feel like a part of this!

I would add a ski lift on Steep Hill!

Queer disabled activist!

Chukwuemeka Omerenna

‘Reach your reach’

I indicated my interest to contest for the post as VP Wellbeing and Community so that I can represent the students’ community in all ramifications to relate with their disturbing trauma which are but physical health, sexual harassment, mental health etc. affecting their human existence and inhabitation within and around university premises.

If I am elected to represent the student union, I will act as a bridge to reduce the number of societal ill faced by the student community at large. Also, I will bring unity among students by hosting and organizing games, more inclusive events, more academic societies, re-awaken adventure opportunities and collaborating with the student body internally to issues that can be holistically divulged before its footprint can be communicated.

I will set up campaigns champions of related group that will act as custodians to intrinsically upheld to students challenge in terms of indiscrimination, inequality, injustice, islamophobia, sexual violence, anti-Semitism etc.

Loyalty, transparent, and trustworthy.

Zuzanna Romanska (she/her)

‘Your wellbeing is key to our community’s growth!’

I always wanted my job to allow me to introduce real changes. I think seeing that your work is actually benefitting someone is the best you can get out of it. I would love nothing more than to be the next VP Wellbeing and Community, so I can help students that struggle with the same things I have struggled with as an immigrant, working student.

I have been through it, and I know how to make it better for our community. I am passionate about all matters of wellbeing, especially when it comes to mental health. I believe that lots of it is still taboo or discussed only on special occasions. I want to make it part of our student experience, for everyone to feel listened to and a part of something bigger.

I will make sure that students with mental health issues will not only be listened to but also have a chance to build a sense of community with other students struggling with similar challenges, at the same time educating our campus on how to really be there for people with mental health disorders.

I will emphasise the importance of understanding what consent is. I believe that is something that everyone should be reminded of on a daily basis. I will strengthen the support system for working students, making sure they are not left behind, alone, or with no alternatives given to them.

I would like to see more appreciation and more recognition of the different cultures that Lincoln holds within. Multinationalism of the town should be celebrated, whilst, at least in my eyes, it is often ignored.

Motivated. Caring. Kind.