Don’t walk on New Walk: Resident restrictions threaten Halloween bar crawl

A lengthy alternative route has been provided to discourage rowdiness in the area

Halloween horror as a newly instated curfew on New Walk may affect tonight’s planned bar crawl.

An email circulated among presidents and social secs for all Leicester clubs and socs warn students against using certain routes on tonight’s bar crawl.

The email reads: “Please AVOID New Walk between Revolution and the Let’s Disko tonight.

“There are a lot of the bar crawls planning to leave Revolution after 11pm, and you need to be aware of the local residences (with young families) who will be sleeping at this time.”

This comes after the ARC team, in charge of all Leicester societies, warned their social secretaries to control their drunken members around the area two weeks ago.

Despite students being yet to fall foul of the curfew, the email warned students again ahead of tonight’s expected carnage.

New Walk; now under curfew

Home of bars including Vodka Revolution, and Sloanes and pubs such as The Kings Head, New Walk is under a 11pm noise and behaviour curfew due to residents complaining about last year’s mischief.

Last years Wednesday halloween event

With the most looked forward to event this week, timing with the usual sports clubs socials, most of Leicester’s student population is expected to be out.

Rockstar Promotions, in charge of the event, are attempting to stagger the number of students in one given bar by grouping the freshers by hall and allowing 2nd and 3rd years to start anytime after 9pm.

But New Walk, which is also a well-used shortcut through to the o2, especially for those students who end up getting a takeaway instead of finishing the bar route, sees students lurch down the path much later than the curfew allows.

One of last years nightmares represented beautifully in fancy dress

With the facebook page promising “10 venues, 3 thousand students and 1 epic night”, the residents of New Walk are undoubtedly bracing themselves against noisy zombies, sleazy vampires and messy mummies.

One email explained the necessity of the restrictions are due to “the high volume of complaints” the university received about noise and behaviour last year.

ARC team has come with a lengthy alternative route to the O2

It also asked students “to be aware of the possible impact on residents” tonight.

As usual, John Foster students will be expected to handle over an hour more drinking than Beaumont, Digby and Mary Gee halls, starting at 7:45pm.

2nd and 3rd years are expected to join the route at 9pm but with many predrinking the event, Halloween is set to be yet another test for both the restrictions and the students trying to abide by them.