Leicester Graduate Launches Mr.University Competition

Tomorrow will see the crowning of the UK’s first ‘Mr. University’.

The UK’s first Mr. University competition will be held tomorrow at the University of Leicester’s O2 Academy.

Former Leicester student and founder of MASS, the Muscle and Athletic Sports Society, David Bissell is behind the competition.

The main aim of the competition is to challenge the stereotype of the inactive and unhealthy lifestyle usually associated with university students. It will also find the most athletic men and women in the country.

“Basically, we want to make it cool to be a fit student.”

The words of the competition founder, who blames binge drinking culture and endless student offers on unhealthy food (who can resist Two for Tuesdays at Dominos?) as two of the main reasons for a student to develop an unhealthy lifestyle.

Definitely speedo weather…

Mr. University is a competition to celebrate the opposite side of university life – fitness and healthy living. Voting for competitors can be done on the Mr.University’s Facebook page where competitors upload their photos and try to get as many likes as possible.

The Tab caught up with the University of Leicester’s sole female competitor, she said:

“I am extremely excited about performing on stage but very nervous as I will be wearing a tiny bikini. My mum and all my house mates will be supporting me in the audience!”

“For me, making it an enjoyable experience, meeting other students that share my fitness passion and getting my body in the best shape that it’s ever been is what I hope to get out of it!”

Another competitor, Matt, representing DMU, said:

“Bodybuilding gets a bad name from the use of steroids and some of the people who profess to be bodybuilders, but fitness is starting to become more popular and having an achievable look makes it much more accessible to everyone, as opposed to just the huge guys.”

Co-founder Bissell stated: “You don’t have to follow the typical lazy stereotype and if you do train and look after your body then why not show off your achievements to others?”

You can cast your votes here.

Bissell’s MASS group has expanded to 10 universities across the UK and has even reached a university in the United States.

Game face on…

Bissell may look familiar to the selected few as the new so-called ‘mystery man’ of ‘The Only Way Is Essex’ reality TV star, Jasmin Walia.

Recently featured in The Daily Mail, the two were spotted walking out of a pub together in Essex, as an ‘unexpected’ photographer was able to catch their intimate moments, which included Bissell picking up Walia and twirling her around, lost in the whirlwind of their ‘new found love.’